Sunday, April 26, 2009

BLANKET #2

Remember a month or so ago I mentioned that my grandma said I could use her sewing machine to make baby blankets? Well, it's about as basic of a project as you can do, but basic is good. I like basic.

Four weeks ago I gave my first homemade blanket away to Becky. It was ... ummmm ... a first blanket. Super cute fabric ... crooked sides and some messed up seams. However, one of the perks of a good friend is that you don't have to impress each other. Plus, Becky and Brandon's kids have a moral obligation to love us as much as our kids love them. Which is a lot. And she knows I'm a total sewing rookie. All those facts add up to Adler getting the "trial run" blanket. Lucky guy.

I forgot to take a picture of blanket #1, but perhaps that's a good thing. However, I figure that instead of viewing it as an obvious "first", we can consider the option that someday it will be "vintage". That sounds much better, doesn't it? I mean, when I'm a world famous baby blanket designer, then little Adler's blanket will be worth millions. I'm sure of it.

Yesterday I gave away blanket #2 to Tamie. Still basic, but the sides are straight and there are no blatant errors in seams. Plus, I even trimmed it out in a contrasting color. Pretty impressive, right?

Come on. Play along with me. Act like a baby blanket is the most complicated thing a person could ever make. Okey dokey?

Anyway, here is blanket #2. This bug fabric was the first thing I purchased in a fabric store. I love it!!




9 comments:

Hook House said...

Job well done Bethany! :o) I'm waiting for hubby to upload pics from the memory card (right now) so I can post my "after" of the new fringe I sewed on Hannah's "Night Out on the Town" dress. Us rookie sewers aren't so bad...or so I'm told.

The Moffits said...

Wouldn't blankets be the perfect Christmas gift from a loving aunt!

Mama in Uganda said...

Great job! I wish I could find more time to bust out my machine. I have been sewing for years and I remain a rookie, for reason of experience!

Traci said...

super cute. I just purchased a sewing machine yesterday online at costco. My mom is going to teach me how to use it over mothers day. Baby blankets was one of my project must do's. My sil's made flannel blankets for my kids when they were born and they were some of their favorite lovies.

Missus Wookie said...

Oh that bug fabric is SO cute. :sigh: Makes me covet a trip to a US side fabric store now. Congrats on the blankets :)

Marion Acres said...

Yay, how fun! I'm so proud of you Bethany. Very cute. ;) And you said you weren't crafty.. phsh, I guess you'll be saving those JoAnns coupons now, darn ;) Happy Sewing!

Anonymous said...

Love it! Now you'll have to go look up minky fabric - that is a wonderful soft fabric for baby blankets!

Anonymous said...

Flannel or fleece?

BETHANY said...

Fleece.