I have had no desire to get on Facebook. E-mail, two forums, and two blogs take enough of my time. However, I found out my sister was on it. So, I signed up just to see her stuff. Then I got some friend requests. I'm a Facebook snob and will not approve everyone. I'm just not interested in having 539 friends who I don't really care about and who don't really care about me. I've let some through though.
Today is only the second time I've logged on and I'm just thinking it's cluttered and confusing. Like the News Feed. What's the point? So I can know what each of my friends is doing right now? And whose sites they've all commented on? I don't care whose sites they've commented on! Status updates? Just a less cluttered view of the news feed? And live feed is the same info all over again?
What am I missing here? What's the big draw? I'll stay if I can be convinced it's worth my time. So, if you like using Facebook, then tell me why. If you don't, then I guess you can tell me that too, but I'm mostly interested in the reason for doing it.
11 comments:
I use it to keep in touch with people from high school and my younger brothers. I love seeing pictures of my classmates' kids, and knowing what they are up to. Lots of them are still living in my hometown, so I also get to keep up on how things are going back home. It is the perfect way for me to keep up with my younger brothers. One is in college, one in the Air Force, and the other is still in high school. They are all on Facebook constantly, so I can chat with them just about anytime. I actually keep in touch with a few of my cousins this way as well. Lots of people have Facebook Mobile (which is Facebook on your cell phone), so I get in touch with them on Facebook quicker than sending them an e-mail. Anyway, that's how I use it. I check it once a day, and put pictures of the family up every couple of months. Otherwise, it doesn't really take up much time.
Anne
I signed up for it a little bit ago because Matt was enjoying it so much. I think the best part is connecting with old friends who you've lost touch with. It seems like just about everyone is on facebook, so you can "search" for people and who knows you may find them. I agree that that "news feed" is a bit much! For me, it's almost another way to email. I pretty much just use it (FB) as people contact me. I think the status updates are kind of fun ways to see what people are up to. And what people are "writing" on "other people's" walls is also not interesting to me. one thing about adding lots of "friends" is that FB will find other people you might know through your list of "friends" so you might find old mutual friends... I guess you just use it how you want!
I use FB to keep in touch with my neices and nephews. For them regular emailing is .. passe...so if I want to keep in contact...FB is my only option. They don't even phone! They only text which is useless to me since I don't have a cell phone and won't pay to text anyone OR they use FB.
Also I have found friends from college, high school, church youth group and such.
I have also found that it is good "support" from some of the other women at Athey...when encouragement is needed or such....FB can be accessed easily (since our phone is broken and the phone company can't seem to keep it fixed. :) )
Wow. ;)
For me, FB has become the equivalent of Webshots, a blog, email and a forum all rolled into one. It's been a great way to keep up with old friends, new friends and emaginary friends. Since I'm no longer at SL, it's been a great way for me to stay in touch with some of the friends I made there. (You're comments make me scared to even make a friend request for fear of rejection. ;) ) I love watching the status updates during the day to see what my friends are all up to. It's a way to stay in touch without having to necessarily carry on a conversation. Also, I have been pleasantly surprised to be reconnected with friends from elementary and jr. high years that I would probably have never ever seen or heard from again if it weren't for FB. Also, my sister travels a lot for work, and is currently in Asia for 3 weeks. FB has been the most reliable way to be able to stay in daily contact with her. All in all, I love that I can go to one place to keep up with everyone. Oh, and imo, FB was much better before they recently changed it to this confusing, cluttered mess.
I agree with you Bethany, but a friend of mine recently tried to get me to sign up for it and when I asked her what the point was, she said it's like "MySpace for a more mature crowd" and that it is a great way to "get in touch with old friends".
I felt the same way when I first signed up, but now I really love it. I use it to stay in touch with our sisters, mostly, and some old friends (like my best friends from elementary school – crazy!). I think you get used to the news feed after a while, and you can adjust the settings so you see more status updates or more pictures and less whatever.
The only reason I signed up for FB originally is because the church group I am part of uses it for invites for events etc.....I have learned to love it....For me it is a great way to communicate quickly, keep up with what friends are doing through out the day, and find old friends....
I have learned to love it.
Well, I'm the kind of guy who likes having 539 friends [smile].
Every once in a while there is an update from someone that is important (like a baby or getting engaged) that I would have missed otherwise. I like looking at pictures people post too.
The only really useful thing for me is the birthday reminders... but for that you have to log on often, and I don't. [smile]
~Luke
Does that mean we can't be FB friends? :)
Thanks everybody! I'm going to give it a shot, but the two forums I'm part of and my two blogs will take priority. :)
Post a Comment