Saturday, November 1, 2008

BOOKS I FINISHED - OCTOBER 2008

I enjoyed all three books I finished up during October. Click on the titles for more information.

Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction , by David Sheff
The thing that I loved most about this book was that it was just real. There wasn't the doom and gloom that says addicts will never recover. There wasn't false hope given to people by saying "if you just choose the right program, then the addict will live happily ever after". I recommended it to a friend whose son is in rehab right now and she confirmed how great the book was. The author really draws you in and you feel like you're riding the emotional roller coaster with him. Excellent book for those who love someone, particularly a child, who's battling drugs. Also a good read for any parent, as drugs know no boundary. They reach kids in public, private and home school, those raised in families that are devout Christians and those who are atheist, kids who are athletic, artistic, or intellectual, the loners and the popular kids, those who are rich, poor, and middle class, living in inner cities and tiny towns.

Love & Respect: The Love She Most Desires, The Respect He Desperately Needs, by Emerson Eggerichs
Judy Slaughter gave me this book a couple years ago when I told her how much I struggle with having a critical spirit. I read it then, so this was a re-read. It's broken into three parts - one for the husband, one for the wife, and the rest for the couple. When Judy gave it to me she forbid me from reading the husband part, as my critical attitude would have me thinking "see, I knew he should be doing that!". Though my attitude has improved since then, I chose to skip that part again. It's a great book and I recommend it for all wives who struggle with being critical of people, particularly their husbands.

Mountain Rescue Doctor: Wilderness Medicine In The Extremes Of Nature, by Christopher Van Tilburg
The author of this book is a doctor and a Crag Rat, part of a volunteer search and rescue team in Hood River county. His book tells about several of the calls he's gone out on, both on Mount Hood and in other locations. There are happy endings and sad endings, high profile calls that made nationwide news and small ones that no one ever heard about. He also includes a lot of history, information about the outdoors, and views on legislation concerning outdoor recreation.

2 comments:

Kami said...

I'm reading Love and Respect right now as well - it's a great book, not only for those with a critical spirit, but everyone!! Every wife can benefit from this book.

Tim and Shanna said...

I'm reading (and have been off and on) Love and Respect now and love it. I have a problem with submission and it's really helped me to understand how to talk to Tim. Esp. when he frustrates me or I feel "lorded over" (which doesn't really happen-just in my head) and I remind myself that I can't get through to him if my tone is disrespectful. SUCH a good book! :)