Friday, May 23, 2008

MY LITTLE PIECE OF HEAVEN

Last night I told Tim that I wanted to spend time with my fourth baby after dinner. Both boys gave me strange looks. Finally Silas asked what baby I was talking about. My garden. Duh! They think I'm weird. I'm not. I just really love everything about my garden. As I walked out the door I said "off to see my baby". Devon got to the back door about the time I hit the dirt and hollered "It's a gaaaarden, Mom, not a baby". Then he smirked and rolled his eyes.

Without further ado, let me introduce you to the 2008 edition of our garden. And by "our", I really mean "my". "Our" just sounds more friendly and stuff. Here is 537 square feet of heaven on earth.

Oh dear! I'm coming back here after the fact to add one small detail that I failed to mention. There are actually things planted in that dirt. Bri, thanks for asking! This year we have pumpkin, corn, jalapenos, carrots, multiple varieties of lettuce, peas, cukes, green beans, spinach, cilantro, tomatoes, zukes, watermelon, strawberries, basil, bell peppers, and a ton of flowers. Tomatoes, strawberries, and a few flowers are all that are above ground right now. Everything else was started from seed.

This is the side that is out my kitchen window. It goes, moving to the left, garden, grass, patio, house. Notice our compost bins in the background.

And this is the other side.


And this is the back section, which is on the side of the garage. The previous pictures is behind me (as I was taking this pic) and on my left. The fence in the background of this pic borders our driveway.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

ooh how fun! What have you/ are you planning on planting? Other than tomatoes? I'd love to have a yard & a garden some day.

BETHANY said...

Bri -

Thanks for asking! I went back and edited my blog to include what we're growing. :)

Anonymous said...

Love your garden and I'm a tad bit jealous. I really wanted to try my hand at a garden this year but we still don't know where we'll be next year, so I wait. And maybe that's a good thing 'cause I'm not so sure if anything would actually sprout from the garden, lol.

But do tell....you compost? Wanna dedicated a entry to it, telling all of us unedumecated folks about it??

The Moffits said...

It's beautiful! Can't wait to see things sprout and bloom!

Rachelle said...

I worked on my "pots" this weekend. I don't have as much as you, but I wish I did!!!! Can't wait to see how your garden grows.

BETHANY said...

Tannis -

Here's my composting lesson.

1) Make a very high end and expensive compost bin by using zip ties to connect wooden pallets.

2) Dump all kitchen scraps, grass clippings, and piles of raked leaves into compost bin.

3) Turn the pile whenever you think about it.

4) Spread the compost over your garden area right before tilling.


I should write a gardening book, huh? :)