We checked out two very different, yet equally good, movies from the library recently.
First, A Mighty Heart. It's the story of Daniel Pearl's kidnapping from the viewpoint of his wife, Mariane Pearl. It's rated R for language, which I realize will be a deal breaker for some of you. If you can get past that detail, then I'd encourage you to watch it. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be overseas and pregnant when your Jewish husband is kidnapped by Muslim terrorists. The scene where Mariane finds out that Daniel is dead is heart-wrenching! If you still aren't sure if it's your kind of flick, then click here for an objective list of possibly offensive things to decide whether or not you want to watch it.
Second, and on a much lighter note, Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium. We had a family movie night and watched it with the boys. What a treat! It's magical like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory with some good life lessons thrown in. It's rated G and there is absolutely no excuse not to watch it. Our whole family enjoyed it. Oh, that there were more good, clean movies!!
3 comments:
Hey, Bethany, so does Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium have tension/scary parts? I know most stories have to have some type of tension, but Pey doesn't do well with anything even remotely resembling scary, and we've had to turn off almost all of our family movie night movies because she just can't handle even just fast-forwarding to the next scene.
Thanks!
Mandi-
We don't scare easily in our casa, so I could be forgetting something, but I think it would be fine. I asked Tim if he could think of anything too. There are times where the Emporium is chaotic, but not in a scary way. Here are a couple other reviews.
http://www.pluggedinonline.com/movies/movies/a0003506.cfm
http://christiananswers.net/spotlight/movies/2007/mrmagoriumswonderemporium2007.html
Thanks, Bethany! I'm always torn between wanting to help her deal with those scary things and face her fear and not wanting to take away her sensitivity. I'm still not sure which is the right approach...
We'll definitely get it, though. Worst case, we turn it off until they're in bed.
Post a Comment