I've had conversations with a few people lately about giving gifts to kiddos. I think it's safe to say that most, as in 99.99%, of kids don't need more toys. Most have enough. Many have way too many. I realize "way to many" is pretty subjective. It's just my personal opinion. I like keeping things simple and that's hard to accomplish when there are 27 million toys in my house. So, in addition to having a "have less than 27 million toys" rule at our house, we also keep a policy of "new toy in, old toy out". The old toys go in a box to save for Naomi, on the curb in a box of freebies, to Goodwill, or to some kid we know. The boys help with the toy purging process and do a great job.
Anyway, I don't think toys are bad gifts. They're fun. There are new ones to discover as children get older. Toys are good. Really good. I'm not a toy grinch. I promise. I just like a balance.
Now back to brainstorming. I generally don't give toys as gifts. Instead I opt for books (it's my personal belief that one can never have too many books), consumables, board or card games, outdoor stuff, or something educational. The child in question always gets plenty of toy gifts anyway.
So, I'll give a list of non-toy gifts that our family enjoys giving and ones they've enjoyed receiving. Then your job is to post a comment with other ideas of non-toy gifts. Got it? Ok, here goes.
I Spy books
Where's Waldo? books
ant farms
Coldstone gift cards
Magnetix
Jamba Juice gift cards
puzzles
Candy Land
Eric Carle books
create a (fill in the blank) kits from Michael's
seeds/spade/trowel
buckets
balls
Pump It Up passes
slip n' slide
Chutes and Ladders
basketball hoops
costumes and dress-up stuff
Ok, that's what comes to mind immediately. I'm sure I'll think of more things as soon as I turn the computer off.
Now, you give me your ideas!
5 comments:
1) Annual passes to the Zoo!
2) certificates for a date with mommy or daddy
Those are the ones that immed. popped to mind!
For us it is foam shapes, paper dolls, crayons, markers, stickers, anything crafty and girly
Also music cd's
kids love cash. but, of course - for a 6 year old, 5 $1 bills is way cooler than 1 $20 bill. it's all about how many pieces of money they get! and then of course they can go out and buy a toy!! :)
For bday gifts with younger kids (Kai) we do gifts in numbers of how old he has turned. This last year we did 5 banana's, 5 fruit leathers, 5 gummy worms, 5 pb pretzels, 5 $1's. He loves it! This isn't the first year we have done it. Food has become a favorite gift within our family. We all need it! :)
Great ideas, ladies!!
Post a Comment