Sunday, March 22, 2015

FOUR CORNERS

Some of my friends need to see this part of my life. They think that being naturally organized and tidy with a tendency toward minimalism means my home is all pulled together ... but it's not.

I need some of my friends to see this part of my life. I feel completely embarrassed by this space because it doesn't reflect who I am ... yet it's part of my home.





I know it's a garage, not an indoor living space. I know some of you don't think it's too bad since you can still see some of the floor and walls. I know some of you would prefer having a pig sty of a garage than no garage at all. I know that the negatives have positive spins. I know it's just a trashed garage, not a terminally ill family member, abusive situation, or malnourished country.

I know.

That doesn't change the sense of being overwhelmed when I try to figure out solutions to the chaos. the frustration every time I walk through the obstacle course that it's become, or the embarrassment when the garage door is open to the street or guests need to go in for something.

I've actually thought about sharing these pictures for months, as I get regular comments about how our home is generally in order and want people, especially those friends who are prone to being messy, to see for themselves that none of us have it all together, but I've avoided it because I'm so embarrassed.  In fact, I feel totally nervous right now knowing that I'm about to post this. So ridiculous! 

I'm hitting "publish" anyway because this is real life and I need to get over my pride.

3 comments:

Jules said...

You are brave! And real. :) I'm pretty sure I won't post my garage or my personal sewing room.

I'm not your helper on this one. I'm not so great at organizing.

** much applause **

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you shared!! Your home impressed me by how clear and open and spacious it was. I love the bright colors, open areas, general tidiness--especially given how many people under 15 live there. So in a way it's reassuring to me---mostly as I see myself on a path toward greater minimalism and less stuff--to remember that it's all a process.

Bethany said...

Thanks, ladies! :)