Thursday, March 26, 2015

MENU: 3/26/15 - 4/1/15

Update: I'm coming back a day after this post went live because I forgot to mention that I have a menu on Frugal Living NW this week. I've given them two or three menus over the years, but they like getting menus from their readers and I've decided to be more intentional about helping out with that part of their site. You can check out that menu right here.

We tried two new recipes last week, one savory and another sweet.

* potato & cabbage soup - Tiffany posted this recipe at Eat at Home right about the same time I stockpiled some bargain cabbage. I had sausage in the freezer and some red potatoes that needed to be used up, so we threw this soup on the menu. Simple, but tasty.

* peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies - I was looking for a cookie recipe that would use chocolate chips (we have a stockpile of some bargain ones), peanut butter (we grind a batch or two each week), and oats (we buy it in 25 lb. bags). This is what I found. I love soft cookies!

ADVANCED COOKING (These aren't always planned, so they'll often be things I did the previous week.)
* I'm picking up 80 lb. of Zaycon chicken on Friday, so I'll be bagging some of it plain and bagging the rest in various marinades before popping it all in the freezer. I actually spent the last two days making the marinades ahead of time, so Friday should go by fairly quickly.
* I'll make peanut butter and crockpot beans, just like I do once or twice every week.

BREAKFASTS
* wheat germ whole wheat buttermilk pancakes/fruit & spinach smoothies
* doughnuts at church
* oatmeal with brown sugar, cinnamon, milk, homemade peanut butter, maple almond butter, raisins, dried cranberries, fresh or frozen fruit, huh-koe-pee milk, and/or energy mix as optional toppings x5

DINNERS
* sesame noodles/stir fry with a bunch of veggies
lentils & rice
* green salad - Asian style (crockpot with raw chicken in marinade from the freezer)
* kale, chickpea, & orzo soup
* Greek chicken (raw in herbs from the freezer)/rice/roasted cabbage
* tacos - seasoned meat, crockpot beans from the freezer, and some other toppings served in a tortilla, bowl, as a salad over a pile of greens, or with mound of rice
* leftovers 

SNACKS & DESSERTS
* banana chocolate chip bars
Crunchy Flax cereal (We scored a case of 12 for $4.99 at a local discount store, so we've been using it as a snack.)
produce 
* popcorn (kernels from the Winco bulk department that get popped in my Lodge Dutch oven, but you can see my thoughts on both the wonderful Dutch oven and the fantastic West Bend Stir Crazy in this post)

(This post contains affiliate links.)

No comments: