As of last night, Silas and Devon have completed one week of public school and so far it's gone really well. Both boys are making new friends, enjoying their classes, and I've heard positive things about each of them from administration and other families. That makes me happy!
Naomi has finished one week of first grade. Her kindergarten year was a joke as far as any sort of structured schooling was concerned. However, life is filled with learning opportunities, so she learned the five things our kids tackle at five years old (tying shoes, riding a 20-inch bike, and reading) and a lot of other stuff along the way. We consider last year an educational success, if not a school success. It's been fun for both her and I to dive into a bit more "real" school with her, though.
As for me, I told some friends last week, after only two days of schooling changes, that I felt a change in myself. I had said a while back that I'd lost the joy in things I used to love - homeschooling, parenting, and homemaking. I was doing a whole lot of things, but none of them well. I was overwhelmed and discouraged. Over the last week I have seen my old self returning and I love it! It's been nice to be productive as a homemaker and to enjoy the various tasks before me. It's been nice to enjoy the time with my kids who are home all day, whether working or playing with them. It's been nice to enjoy the time with my kids who are gone most of the day, hearing about the things that matter to them and laughing with them at the stories they tell. It's been nice to enjoy homeschooling, to sit down at the table to tackle some work or snuggle up on the couch to read together. I feel the joy returning and I'm grateful.
Schooling decisions will keep being made one kid and one year at a time, but the last week has felt like very strong confirmation that we made the right decision for this particular season of life.
3 comments:
I am happy to hear that it is working so well for you!
I hear you about losing the joy, and I'm right there with you in feeling the shift once changes were made. That is our experience this year, too. I am so thankful for the freedom to choose.
I'm glad y'all had a good first week.
(Not fer nuthin - but bike-ridin', shoe-tyin', readin'........that thar's only three thangs.)
So good to hear they have had a good week!
Post a Comment