Tuesday, September 17, 2013

LINKS I LIKE #10

I know I just did one of these posts a couple weeks ago, but I had accumulated several links over the last several months and didn't share them all last time.  I also have a couple that I just discovered.  So, here we go.  Funny, serious, practical ... there's a little of everything.


Bad to Decor - Is that a witty blog name or what?  Love it!  My friend, Christi, and her son are whizzes at turning trash into treasures.  One of my favorite projects is this old door that they turned into an awesome picture frame.  Or maybe the chandelier for the laundry room.  I'm not a big fan of red, but I do love fun light fixtures!


Give Them Something Great to Imitate - Crystal, of Money Saving Mom, reminds us that our kids learn a lot more from how we act than from what we say.  Super convicting, as I have a tendency to verbalize every negative thought and emotion I have around the house.  The following quote was the one that hit me the most, as it's what I struggle with.

If I want my children to be respectful of other people — no matter who they are, I need to do more than just verbalize how imperative it is that we show respect. I need to set an example by constantly being respectful in my words and deeds for everyone I come in contact with.


Discontentment & Comparison - Jess is one of my wisest friends and I love it when she shares her insights into life or the things she's learning.  This was a great post on how we compare up when we want to wallow in self-pity and compare down when we're feeling prideful.  The best part, though, is how she encourages us to stop all comparisons and choose to consider a whole list of amazing things instead.

When we keep scripture as our standard, rather than people, our perspective changes. 

We begin to consider all the things God has done for us... all the things He has done, period.  We consider ourselves in light of eternity, and consider ourselves in light of the vast universe He holds and cares for each day.  We get a vision for life that is bigger than ourselves & our comparisons.

Look to what GOD tells you to focus on, rather than what Facebook, magazines, Pinterest, and even your own deceitful heart, tell you to focus on.

Comparison kills; considering Scripture gives life. 



Lucky 13: 13 things I've learned in 13 years of marriage - Anne, of Modern Mrs. Darcy, shares her perspective on things that matter in marriage.  A few good ones?  

#4. It's what you do every day that counts.
#5. Sometimes I want to wage war.  I need to get over it.   
#11. Marriage is a see-saw.  


What to Say When You Get Nailed For Saying the R-Word: A Handy Guide - Lisa, at Life as I Know It, talks about the importance of not using the words "retard" or "retarded" as insults or criticisms.  Her handy dandy list of how not to respond when someone calls you out for talking that way is fantastic.  I confess, her snark makes me chuckle.  Like here.

Say, “Oops!  Sorry!  I know you don’t like that word.”  What this says is that you think the use of the slur is perfectly acceptable, just not in front of certain overly sensitive crybabies.


Surviving Whole Foods - Oh. my. word!  I laughed through this whole thing.  Whole Foods, New Seasons, or whatever store fits the bill in your neighborhood, this article is a riot.  This line cracks me up.

Next I come to the vitamin aisle which is a danger zone for any broke hypochondriac. 

Ha!  Hypochondriacs are hilarious ... when they aren't totally annoying.  Heads up that that post has a little bit of language in it.  



Restored furniture, parenting reminders, attitude adjustments, marriage insights, having tact, and a little chuckle - that's it for now!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aw, thanks for the mention, Bethany. You're awesome!!

Jess Connell said...

Thanks for the link, Bethany. :)