My sister and I are doing a Bible study together, via Skype, that's focused on olive trees. One of the things we had to do last week was to make a list that compared people and olive trees. I didn't follow the directions exactly, but chose instead to use traits of the olive tree as a springboard for questions about my spiritual life. I thought I'd share them here, in case they would encourage or challenge others. I'll list the olive tree trait first, then share the personal application question.
* Evergreen: Am I always growing?
* Fruit-bearing: What fruit am I bearing?
* Drought-tolerant: How do I handle adversity?
* Massive root system: What am I most invested in?
* New shoots appear when cut: Do hard times make me better or bitter?
* Needs regular pruning: Am I actively working to improve myself?
* Enjoys hot, dry weather: Am I grateful for the good or easy times in life?
* Needs cool winters for fruit to set: Am I accepting of all the seasons of my life?
* Provides fuel: Do I help others to persevere?
* Provides food: Do I help others to grow?
* Provides medicine: Do I help others to heal?
We'll all struggle in some of these areas more than others, but there is hope. The more we focus on the love, character, and promises of God, and the less we focus on our own strengths, weaknesses, and circumstances, the more deeply rooted and fruitful our lives will be.
Psalm 52:8 But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God's unfailing love for ever and ever.
2 comments:
I love that. What is the name of the study you are going through?
Vinae - It's a study my sister found online, just a random one some lady wrote. She linked me to the site one day and I went back a week or two later to start the study, but the site would no longer open. Weird. Fortunately my sister had downloaded the study already and sent it to me. :) Want me to e-mail it to you?
Post a Comment