Tuesday, April 11, 2017

MOVIES I WATCHED: 1/22/17 - 4/11/17

Doubletime
This documentary shows the strength, agility, coordination, and teamwork of two rope jumping teams as they prepare for a big competition. Super impressive!

Fences
Maybe it was the picture on the case, but I expected something happier than this was. The story of a black man facing the realities of his life in the 1950s, I expected there to be some hard stuff. The actors did well, but this was just a downer of a story for me with the negatives far outweighing the positives.

The Great Gilly Hopkins
A foster child who's convinced her birth mom wants her makes choices that cause her to risk losing everything good in her life. Totally predictable, but still a decent movie.

Loving
Based on the civil rights case of Loving v. Virgina in 1967, this movie is about an interracial couple whose marriage was illegal because of their skin color and the court battle to overturn laws preventing restrictions on marriage related to race.

Me Before You
I loved the book by the same title, which I read in February, and the movie didn't disappoint. It's about a happy small town girl and a bitter paralyzed man who used to live the high life. I think it's difficult and beautiful at the same time, regardless of how one feels about the issues at stake.

Mr. Church
This was a fabulous movie about the relationship between a woman, her daughter, and the man who cooks for them. Originally intended to be a six month arrangement, it ended up lasting fifteen years and they all became family to each other. I loved this movie.

Pete's Dragon - 1977 and 2016 versions
Other than an orphaned boy and a dragon, the two movies don't have a much in common, but they're both enjoyable stories about fighting against evil and finding a place to belong.


** This post contains affiliate links and we're grateful when people use them. ** 

No comments: