Thursday, July 24, 2014

MENU: 7/24/14 - 7/30/14

We tried a couple new recipes last week, neither of which were on the menu, but both of which used up some ingredients that needed to be eaten.

* quick creamy zucchini soup - I really liked this and the original recipe said it freezes well, though I haven't tried it yet. Just another way to use up the zukes you have growing in your garden!

* Mexican baked eggs with black beans, tomatoes, and chiles - This was a spontaneous substitute for last week's tacos. My version is double the original recipe, as I wanted enough for everyone and some leftovers, but you could easily scale it back if you wanted to. Making it in ramekins, which is how it was made originally, would be a fun way to serve it.

In other food news, Teebs is at the beginning of a ten day experiment of eating dairy-free. Doctor's orders. We usually have one morning a week that isn't oats or eggs, but I'm not going to strain my brain coming up with a dairy-free muffin, pancake, granola (he doesn't like it dry and can't have it with yogurt either), or casserole this week. We'll just have eggs one morning more than usual. Everything else we'll be eating is already dairy-free or we can easily leave the dairy out of his portion. If this experiment ends in ten days, then no biggie. If eating dairy-free ends up being a long-term thing for him, then I'll start putting more thought into which things I want to find substitutes for and which things we'll just let go.

So, without further ado, here's what's on tap for the upcoming week.

BREAKFASTS
* doughnuts (we have these at church, though we always have some dry roasted almondsfruit, and/or cottage cheese at home or on the road first)
* oatmeal with brown sugar, cinnamon, milk, peanut butter, maple almond butter, raisins, dried cranberries, fruit, huh-koe-pee milk, and/or energy mix as optional toppings/yogurt, fruit, & spinach smoothies x3
* egg, potato (I often bake an oven rack's worth once a week and pop them in the fridge for breakfasts,other times I dice them right before cooking), & spinach or kale scramble x3

DINNERS
* leftovers
tacos (seasoned meat, crockpot beans from the freezer, served in a tortilla, bowl, or over a pile of greens) 
* pea cheese salad over spinach and tomatoes/toast
* green salad with shredded chicken, tomatoes, and parmesan cheese
* ham/rice/peas and corn
* baked potatoes with various toppings
rice, kale, & eggs 

SNACKS & DESSERTS
* produce 
* nuts - pistachios & dry roasted almonds
* popcorn (kernels from the Winco bulk department & a West Bend Stir Crazy to pop them in)
zuke cookies (never got around to making these last week)

(This post contains affiliate links.)

No comments: