This novel, which I first saw when I was working in Devon's school library and checked out from the public library, is written from the perspective of Annie Sullivan, the young woman who was Helen Keller's tutor. While obviously a great story of perseverance and love, I also enjoyed learning more about Sullivan's past and gaining a better understanding of the family dynamics in the Keller home.
An Invisible Thread: The True Story of an 11-Year-Old Panhandler, a Busy Sales Executive, and an Unlikely Meeting with Destiny, written by Laura Schroff
This true story is a great reminder that we have no idea how far-reaching the impact of a small act of kindness may be and that people need each other. I loved it.
Finish Strong: Living the Values That Take You the Distance, written by Richard G. Capen, Jr.
This book is filled with great quotes from other people and lots of good things to think about. Some of the topics addressed are perseverance, community, authenticity, commitment, trustworthiness, humility, and compassion. Here are some questions Capen asked some friends and his readers. I think they're interesting questions and the answers probably say a lot about who we are.
* What three accomplishments do you consider to the be the most important in your life?
* If you knew you were going to die tomorrow, what two or three values would you want to remembered for?
* Who have been your mentors, and what did they teach you?
* Name an unsung hero whose values you admire?
The Mozart Question, written by Michael Morpurgoand illustrated by Michael Foreman
This is another book that I was intrigued by at the school library. It's a quick read of historical fiction that you can get through in one sitting. It's the story of a boy who sneakily learns to play the violin, how those lessons impact his family, and why, as an adult who performs regularly, he's never played Mozart publicly. I liked it and will have the big boys read it.
THE BOOKS I BAILED ON
Daring Greatly: How the Courage to be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead, written by Brene Brown
I've heard nothing but good things about this book, so I'm sure it's great, but I just couldn't get into it.
The Hour of Peril: The Secret Plot to Murder Lincoln Before the Civil War, written by Daniel Stashower
This book still intrigues me and I'd like to read it another time, but it's basically a big history book and I realized I needed some literary fluff after reading several chapters.
** This post contains affiliate links and we're grateful when people use them. **
No comments:
Post a Comment