Sunday, July 6, 2014

I HAVE A CHALLENGE FOR YOU

I've been meaning to issue this challenge for several weeks and a recent conversation with a friend gave me the kick in the pants to actually type it up.

Ready? Here it is.

Send one positive or non-superficial message to one person this week. 

That's it.

One message. One person. One week.

Well, I would love it if you'd do it every week and I would be thrilled if you increased the number to something higher than one, but for now I'm setting a low standard with the hope that more people will accept the challenge that way. People can always do more if they want to, but this challenge is simple enough that anyone can do it.

I started doing this almost a year ago and it's been good for me to intentionally seek out meaningful interaction with people. My life is filled with people, I have no shortage of face to face conversations, and the internet allows for tons of lighthearted interaction or brief dialogue about things that matter, but in the midst of all that contact with humanity it's actually pretty easy to settle for superficial communication.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love chit chatting about trivial things and just shootin' the breeze, but I think it has to be balanced with something more substantial, something that shows people matter to me. Yes, meaningful conversations are already part of my life, but I wanted them to be a bigger part, to seek out those types of interactions, to be one who strives to shows more of an interest in others' lives than in talking about my own (and I'm the first to confess I talk about my own little corner of the world a lot).

So, are you up for it? Not sure where to start? Here are some ideas.

Who - Someone you have a general respect for. One of your family members. A person facing difficult circumstances. Someone from one particular circle in your life (then someone from another circle the following week). A person who said or did something specific that you appreciate. The first person who comes to mind. Someone who gets on your nerves. Someone from your childhood. Someone you interact with professionally, whether the professional is you or them. A neighbor. Someone who teaches any type of class that someone in your family is part of. A person you only interact with online. The oldest or youngest person you know who could comprehend what you're saying to them.

What - Make it be about the other person, not yourself. Tell someone what you value about them. Ask for an update on a hard situation someone is going through. Thank a person for something they've done. Ask someone to share three good things about their day. Share an encouraging quote or verse that's relevant to the person's life. Tell a parent something positive about their kid. Ask what one thing is in someone's life that's going well and one thing that's challenging. Encourage someone who is trying to reach a goal that seems impossible. Point out someone's strengths. Ask someone what one of their dreams or goals are.

When - Before Saturday ends. Then again between next Sunday and the following Saturday. And again. And again. And again. And starting over again without any guilt if you miss a week.

Where - Anywhere a written message can be left. In a private e-mail. Through a note left on a car windshield. On a Facebook wall. On a napkin at mealtime. In a handwritten card sent through the postal service. On a homemade poster taped to a front door. In a text message. In a card delivered to a person's workplace.

Why - First, because everyone needs to know they matter to others and they won't know unless we show them. Second, because we all need to think past ourselves. Third, because meaningful interactions and relationships don't happen without effort.

If you take the challenge, then I hope it's as rewarding for you as it's been for me!

1 comment:

Desiree said...

Love this. I will give this a try. I have thought in the past it would be nice to do something like this.