Another mononumeric visitor count is about to happen and you know I love mononumeracy. A couple weeks ago I told Linda, my friend who makes the great jewelry, that I was going to give away something from her shop as a celebratory prize. She, being completely and totally awesome, said she was going to donate $10 toward the prize. Isn't that sweet?
Here's the plan. The mononumeric number is 66,666, so I want you to leave a comment telling me anything you want about when you were six. Significant or trivial, it doesn't matter. It just has to be something about your life as a six year old and you can only leave one comment. Cheaters will be kicked to the curb.
I'm posting this kinda late on Monday, I want you to have at least a full 24 hours to play, and I'm not online in the mornings now that school is back in session. So, I'll let this contest run until noon (PST) on Wednesday. Then I'll do a random drawing from the names of everyone who left a comment and that person will win a $25.00 gift certificate to Linda's shop.
You do not have to have a blogger account to leave a comment. Anonymous (technically) comments are allowed, but be sure to leave your name so that I know how to find you if you're the winner.
If you don't wear jewelry or aren't into the style that she makes, go ahead and enter anyway. If you win, then I'm sure you can find someone to spend the gift certificate on!
Happy mononumeric visitor count to me!! Happy reminiscing of being six to you!!
28 comments:
I am fairly sure that 6 is when I received stitches in my head. My neighbor friend and I were playing and I jumped from level ground down to the driveway of a basement garage and didn't land correctly. I remember that when going to the ER that she received a popcicle too and it was banana (my favorite). I was the one with the injury!
Susan D
One thing that I remember from when I was 6 was that I had a terrible lisp and had to see a speech therapist during school. I don't remember much from the therapy other than having to repeat "Sister Sally saw a spider sitting on a fence."
This is super easy for me...
I asked Jesus into my heart when I was six years old. We were on a family trip to Colorado. I remember being in the back of the station wagon and crawling through to the front seat where my parents were (those were the days before seatbelts!) and told them I wanted to ask Jesus to come live in my heart. We were somewhere in the middle of Kansas. The memory is as vivid as if it happened yesterday. =)
Is it bad that I really don't remember anything from when I was six. I don't remember a whole lot before the age of 9 for some reason. Oh here is a very random and non significant memory...I remember asking my Kindergarten teacher for a throat drop because I had a sore throat. She gave me a piece of candy which I thought was the coolest thing. (I'm assuming here that this memory is from age 6 and not 5). That's all I've got!
When I was six I forged my first note using crayon and that recycled brown paper with the thick lines on it :) Needless to say my teacher didn't buy it.
I am trying to remember when I was 6! I think I was six when some boys were chasing me at school, and I ran into a pole and hit my nose. My Grandma picked me up from school, took me to the doctor, and left the bloody clothes (it was bleeding) on my parent's door step. Needless to say they were scared since they didn't know what happened! ; ) Thank God for cell phones, right?! ; )
I cried and cried on the first day of school.
I remember going to Kindergarten and having a blast. That is about it.
Kindergarten: having to drink warm milk that sat outside while we had a guest speaker. I wasn't allowed to play until I drank all of my milk. The other kids had chocolate milk, and who doesn't like hot chocolate? But I had white milk and HATE it warm! needless to say, I didn't play that day.
Boy... that was 33 years ago. Hmmmm.... Kindergarten I have a memory, but I would have been 5... so 6 would be first grade. I remember I had a really old wrinkly nun for first grade. One day I must have been sucking my thumb in class {although I don't remember being a thumb sucker} and she offered me her thumb to suck instead since it was salter. I didn't do that again in her class!!!
Six was an exciting year for my family and I. After living in New York for my entire life, we moved to Arizona to be close to family there. We eventually returned to NY, but the memories of our years in AZ are still so vivid in my mind. I always said I'd return there as an adult, but haven't managed that yet...
When I was six, I was in second grade, and my teacher's name was Mary Christ. Say "Krist" like Christmas. She broke her arm during that year, and we all thought it was super cool to have a teacher with a cast.
Jen/mamamoz
When I was 6 I got in trouble at school for writing a note about another girl saying she liked a boy. I was scared to death when the teacher talked to me and admitted to the whole thing.
When I was 6, I decided to start writing a novel. My mom still has the notebook cover with the synopsis carefully printed in magic marker... something to do with a brother and sister who were identical twins (!) and a haunted house. Very intriguing stuff!
When I was six I was in first grade. I remember most of us walking around with paper towels in our mouths trying to wiggle out our teeth too when another kid in class lost a tooth in class.
When I was six I was in the first grade adn my teacher Ms. Martin loved in when I brought her carnations and rubbed her shoulders. I wasn't against being teacher's pet :)
When I was six - I'm guessing I was in first grade as well. That momentous year (NOT) was marked by the principal having to come and physically drag me out of my mother's big, huge, blue car because I flat out refused to get out of said vehicle for class and my mother couldn't do it herself.
I'm guessing it was because I didn't like what I was wearing or something equally devastating to a six year old....
It's horribly ironic these days as I watch my own child have meltdowns over clothing and as an adult I fail to buy into the drama. My mother has earned the right to laugh at me...obviously.
First day of school--I wouldn't get on the school bus to go home being convinced the bus driver wouldn't know where I lived. The neighbor boy brought me home.
When I was 6, my grandmother used to watch us after school. We would go to her house immediately after school. One day, she wasn't home when we got off the bus so I decided to go to the Senior Center the next block over to look for her. Meanwhile, she came home and I was gone. I went to her house eventually and she gave me the worst spanking ever for leaving the house.
For Linda N because blogger was being punky - When I was six, I was in 1st Grade. I remember this boy, Scott, who would chase all the girls around on the playground pretending to try to kiss ...us. We would all run away from him yelling "cooties!" Yes, he terrorized us and thought it was funny. It wasn't.
When I was six, my dad was committed to a mental hospital. Kind of a downer, but that's what I remember--that and watching Happy Days!
I was in first grade when I was six. My teacher was Mrs. Sackett and I liked her. My favorite part of school was when we got mimeograph sheets to work on a new skill. Most of the time they would need boxes cut out, colored, and glued somewhere. I loved cutting & gluing!! :)
Six. Weird the things you remember. I remember reading Little House on the Prairie books and getting clotheslined by the volleyball net tie down cord. I mean, I'm sure many more significant things happened that year - but that's what I remember!
Deb/Rockhopper
Wow, that was 51 years ago when I was six and you want me to remember something from when I was six? Actually I can remember quite a few things even from when I was 4 or 5 ( why do I have so much trouble remembering where I parked my car in the parking lot?) I loved going into first grade because then we could go on the "big" slide on the playground.I was actually in my home town a few years ago and saw the "big" slide, I think they have rebuilt that slide as it is quite small now. Now it could hardly take your breath away like it did mine in 1959!
I remember my mom putting my hair in braids and I'd be in the backyard, whipping it back and forth, pretending there were bad guys after me and getting myself freaked out!
~Catherine Waxenfelter
For some bizarre reason, I decided to sharpen my eraser in the pencil sharpener at school. And of course, that messed it up. And that's the first and last time I ever got in trouble at school.
Sharon in Wa
When I was six my parents built a new house. My grandpa helped out a lot since he was a mason. I remember he gave me lots of rides around the yard in his wheelbarrow. Photos show I had a really weird haircut!
Connie
ggmom
When I was 6 I used the funky wallpaper pattern in the kitchen as a place to land imaginary planes. The only thing is I used the pointy end of a bottle opener as the plane. So, yes, I was destroying the wallpaper with my imaginary game. My parents were not happy.
Post a Comment