Tim and I have a "two dollar date" rotation with our kids each month. This month was Tim/Naomi, me/Devon, Tim/Silas and next month we'll switch kids. We always start at the library, then go somewhere for a treat. Usually we hit the grocery store for doughnuts or a fast food place for the dollar menu, whatever the kid wants. We've also started taking along a game to play while we eat and chat.
Anyway, Devon and I were scheduled for a date tonight. He's been dying to go to Divine, as everyone else in the family has been there and he hasn't. I don't usually eat anything on the dates, but frozen yogurt sounded good to me. So, my plan was to use the budgeted two bucks and a coupon to get Devon's yogurt and dip into my personal fun money to buy my own.
We go in, pick our yogurt, and put it on the scale. I hand over some money, but I'm looking at Devon as I do so. The girl isn't taking it, so I look up to see what's going on. As I look up I feel a hand on my shoulder and see another hand reaching out to the checker with money. What?!
Turns out that we'd passed by the vehicle of someone we know as we walked in. They were on the phone and saw us walk by, hurried to finish their phone call before we got to the counter, got to us right before we forked over our money ... and paid for our yogurt. How cool is that?!
Free date!!
Not only was the date free, but I found out that the Dev-o-rama is an excellent question asker. I reminded him, as we were driving to the library, that you can't talk all about yourself on a date and that you need to say things that encourage conversation. No "yes/no" questions allowed. The kid kept busting out all sorts of questions and giving thoughtful answers to mine. He's a great date!
1 comment:
Love the "you can't talk about yourself on a date" guideline. I think we'll start trying to implement that on our dates with the kids.
Post a Comment