Friday, August 21, 2009

MORE THAN ENOUGH?

I've been feeling a little lonely, envious, and discontent in a few areas lately. Not so much that I'm plunging into the depths of depression or anything, but enough that I've had some crying spells while I'm out watering the garden in the evenings. As I've wallowed in some little pity parties for myself, prayed, cried, and mentally hashed some stuff out I keep thinking of two things. One is a quote, the other a song.

From Mother Teresa -
You'll never know Jesus is all you need until Jesus is all you have.

From Chris Tomlin & Louie Giglio -
ENOUGH (just some of the lyrics)

You are my supply
My breath of life
Still more awesome than I know.
You are my reward
Worth living for
Still more awesome than I know.

And all of you
Is more than enough for all of me
For every thirst and every need
You satisfy me with your love
And all I have in you is more than enough


Now, I'm certainly not at a point in life where Jesus is literally all I have, but I truly want him to be more than enough for me. If I never had any of my other desires fulfilled, would Jesus be enough? Do I really believe that he's all I need? Can I be satisfied with my life just knowing that he loves me?

I'd like to say the answer to all those questions is yes. My thoughts and emotions, however, are telling me I'm not quite to that point. Guess there's some room for growth, huh?

5 comments:

Mama in Uganda said...

Just when I think that I am about to arrive, I get a "loving" reminder from the Lord that I am not as close as I thought. I too am having a little pity party today. I am sick of being sick--this has been one hard year on my poor skinny body, not to mention my mind. I just want to run and jump with my kiddos. I would like to joyfully dance in the rain. But, at this point it is all I can do to get out of bed. So, I keep pressing in and pressing on--even if my attitude stinks.

The Moffits said...

I think when we say things like, 'Guess there's some room for growth' it makes God happy.

Jess Connell said...

Lately I've been thinking on similar things, Bethany. I don't know what else to say-- I've got nothing amazing from this corner of the world... but I think it IS good when we recognize just how far we fall short. I'm definitely seeing it in my own life.

~Jess

Ashley said...

I can definitely relate to those feelings and questions. Ironically, I was feeling a little down last night before bed, and that song "Enough" popped into my head as well! It was a good reminder and challenge for me. So, it looks like we both have room for growth.
I'm praying for us today!

BETHANY said...

Thanks ladies!