Friday, October 28, 2016

FABULOUS FLIP FLOPS

I've worn flip flops almost every day of my life for many years and have several pairs, some classic Old Navy ones I've worn for ages and bunch of new ones friends gave me when I turned 40. I've realized in the last few years, though, that my feet, knees, and hips hurt if I'm on my feet all day in them. Evidently I'm old enough now that I need some arch support if I'll be walking around in flip flops for more than a couple hours.

Several months ago I was browsing Goodwill and saw a pair of Okabashi flip flops with great arch support. I'd never heard of the brand and they were twice what I pay for Old Navy flip flops. They looked brand new, so I looked them up online, realized the ones being sold at Goodwill were a great deal, and handed over my money so I could take them home. I was instantly smitten with the arch support. What a difference it made in how my feet felt! Sometimes you just don't realize how big a problem is until you resolve it. 

My only complaint was that the flip flops didn't fit quite right. They looked and felt fine in the store, but after wearing them for a couple weeks I realized they were a smidge too wide. That made my foot hit the rubber in a way that would leave a tender mark on the top of my foot by the end of the day. I hopped back online and realized the brown Okabashi Surfs I had bought were technically for men (nothing distinctly masculine about them) and I think that's why they were a little wide. 

Then I got a pair of denim Okabashi Mauis for my birthday from someone who didn't know I'd recently discovered the brand. My feet just barely fit lengthwise, so I quickly exchanged them for the next size up and have been happily wearing them ever since. I still wear my Old Navy flip flops and all the other fun ones I was given for my birthday on a nearly daily basis, but my Okabashi flip flops are my top pick on days I know I'll be walking around a lot or when my body is sore for one reason or another. 

Here are my happy feet in my Okabashi flip flops.


Some fun little flowers on the inside


See how the opposite side is raised? Love that bit of arch support!


They have several different styles, but this one comes in 15 different colors. That's a lot of options! Bonus points allotted for these other factors that are selling points for some people - made in America, recyclable, vegan-friendly, and can be tossed in the dishwasher or washing machine. The links above will take you to Amazon, but here is Okabashi's size chart for those who want to figure out which size to buy.

Have you ever worn Okabashi shoes? If so, which styles do you like?

UPDATE - I now have three pairs of Mauis - blue, brown, and black. I also have a pair of brown/aqua Indigos someone passed down to me.


** This post contains affiliate links and we're grateful when people use them. ** 

No comments: