Saturday, June 11, 2016

40 - ROUND TWO

This afternoon I was the guest of honor at a (sorta) surprise party for my upcoming 40th birthday and it was so much fun! Due to the fact that I double booked my afternoon because I had no clue I was going to be at my own birthday party, we ran into a scheduling debacle. There was an ... ummm ... intense conversation between Tim and I one night over how to handle it, a friendly one later on, the sudden realization that there was more to a lunch invitation from a friend than there appeared to be on the surface (even though I didn't know who or what that "more" entailed), and then an attempt to simultaneously cooperate with people who were trying to secretly do something nice for me and make parenting decisions that were both responsible and fair. Everything worked out in the end and all Ws with plans for the day were able to do what they wanted to do. Success!

Anyway, back to my party. Pam picked me up today for a birthday lunch that was allegedly for just the two of us. Except Kit greeted us just inside the entrance to the restaurant. And fifteen other people shouted "Surprise!" as we entered. 

Oh, goodness, it was fun! Look at all these ladies who came to show me a little birthday love. 





Mindy

Pam


Mary Lou


Cindy


Tammy


Flo


Leighton and Amy


Kelli and Kerri


Amy


Linda


Crystal


Megan


Kit


Emelye


A post-lunch picture of the Brookings contingency, even though none of us have lived there in several years


Michele was also there for a few minutes at the start and Becky sent a card for me to open at the party. I knew there was no way I could have a full conversation with everyone, but I was able to spend a few minutes greeting each person when I first arrived.  Then it was time to sit down in my seat and get the party started. 

Kit was the one who planned the whole thing and she did an amazing job! Once I had ordered my food, she had me draw a name out of a bag. I was sitting at the end of the table and she had left the chair across from me open. The person whose name I drew would come down to the chair opposite me, give me their gift, and chat for a couple minutes. They'd leave and I'd draw the next name. Brilliant! This Type A girl loved the efficiency of that system - some one-on-one interaction with each guest, their chance to see me open their gift, my chance to thank them personally, and everyone else's ability to just keep eating their lunch and visiting.

On to the party theme. Yes, there was a theme. Everyone knows that I wear flip flops about 364 days a year, so check out the napkins Kit brought. They say, "KEEP CALM AND PUT YOUR FLIP-FLOPS ON". Perfect!


Then Pam made these party favors for everyone. They're goody bags with Nutter Butter cookies that have frosting applied to look like flip flop straps. How cute are they?! Blue and green are my favorite colors, hands down, so that's where the strap and ribbon colors came from.


And then there were cards and gifts. So many cards and gifts! 

Lots of cards.

All sorts of edible goodness, gift cards for edible goodness, and cash for both edible goodness and whatever floats my boat. It's like they know I have a sweet tooth and love to eat or something.


Practical things and the fluff of life in blue (and a little green).


A bag filled entirely with green things.


Flip flop themed things, as well as cream for dry feet that wear flip flops all the time.


Last, but not least, flip flops. Eight pairs of flip flops. Simple, with bling, blue, green, black ... and even a pink pair to make me stretch my comfort zone. I love it!


Folks, this was such a special time! I know that it was a financial sacrifice for some of these gals to eat out and bring me a gift. Others sacrificed time, even though they don't really have any to spare. I don't take that lightly. And Kit? That lady! I sit by her at church twice a week and had no clue, none at all, that she's had this up her sleeve for a long time. I'm so thankful for her thoughtfulness and hostess skills, Pam's collaboration, and Crystal's help in taking care of some of the scheduling issues, even though I didn't realize she was in on the party at the time. Such a great afternoon!

(Thanks to Kit, Megan, and Emelye for sharing your phone pictures from the party.)

No comments: