Wednesday, March 3, 2010

POWER HOUR

Tim is gone a lot from the beginning of December through the first week of March. That fact, combined with cabin fever, appointments, parties, errands, and various other obligations, means by mid-February I'm generally ready to pull my hair out. Or the kids' hair. Or whoever gets their hair too close to my hands. Last night I had a chance to briefly escape reality. This was particularly good since insomnia had given me a mere 3.5 hours of sleep on Monday night. Needless to say, I was fried. Irritable. Impatient. On the verge of a meltdown. Tim wished me well and I headed out the door.

I got in my van and drove silently, no children in the back or music through the speakers, to the store to pick up some bargain cheese. Not exactly exciting, but the silence was great. So was the fact that I could get in and out of the store in about thirty seconds without kids in tow. Then I headed for my primary destination. The library. I walked in, returned a cultural pass we had used to visit the Children's Museum, then headed upstairs. It's quiet there. I walked up and down the aisles. Slowly. A relaxing stroll through the stacks. A few titles caught my eye and I grabbed the books off the shelf. Then I walked some more. I eventually made it back to the quiet reading room. A room dedicated to silence. Bliss. I curled up in a chair facing a window and started reading one of the books I'd just picked out. I read for about 45 minutes. Then I silently gathered up my stuff and walked downstairs. I grabbed a few things that were waiting for me on the hold shelf then went to a self-check station. Next was a silent walk in the quiet night out to my van and a silent trip back home.

When I got back home I didn't want to pull anyone's hair out. Of course, the fact the kids were about to hit the sack didn't hurt. But still. A quiet hour in the library left me feeling rejuvenated. It was my power hour. I'm still looking forward for this week to end, but I think I'll survive the few days I have to live through to reach the weekend.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Oooooh, I love silence. It's one of the reasons I started staying up late when the kids were little. And when I was working, I loved my one hour drive to work. I rarely had the radio on. After 3 years it got old, but that's another story. I'm one of those people that doesn't like background noise, so I don't have the radio on at home. When I listen to music that's all I do.

Glad you had such a wonderful time of silence.

Sharon in Wa

Mama in Uganda said...

Blissful indeed!

Zane is taking off (well, he will work from home) the next three days. I am heading to the city to spend two nights with a friend--she just happens not to have any children (not her choice but rather due to infertility), so it will be quiet and peaceful. Although I LOVE my children dearly, this mama needs some peace once in a while. Not to mention some rest before the big move at the end of the month.

Lawfrog said...

Bookstores and libraries are wonderful for rejuvenating the soul! Just listening to the silence and having a moment to relax is so refreshing. I'm glad you took that time for yourself.