I've been feeling really frumpy for quite a while now and this long, heavy, shaggy mop of hair that hasn't been cut in eight months is part of the problem. And, yes, that clump in the front is straight. Curly hair is never equally curly across the head, but my straightest section just happens to be front and center. Because, of course.
The gal who cut my hair for several years moved out of state a while back and the gal I started seeing in October is booked until mid-August, due to the backlog of clients whose appointments had to be canceled over the last three months.
I'm pretty low maintenance when it comes to appearance, but I hate my hair right now. Hate it. A lot. I don't remember the last time I had a good hair day, so I decided that desperate times call for desperate measures. I've had countless bad haircuts from professionals who probably do well with straight hair, but just don't understand that curly hair doesn't work the same. A covid cut may not turn out well, but at least it's a bad haircut I wouldn't have wasted money on.
I've done funky hair on the kids for years and years, as well as shaped their hair for regular styles lots of times, but I've never taken scissors to my own hair. Naomi's hair cutting experience is limited to running the clippers on the lower part of her head these days and trimming the top when the mood strikes. So this was risky. And I hate risk. But I also hate my hair. So Naomi and I each grabbed some scissors.
Took a picture from the front the next day, then tackled it again to try and lose the long mushroom look.
A little more shaping, along with my awkward braces smile.
Showered, trimmed up the back where it was too pointy, had Naomi get the parts I couldn't reach, then realized I was back to an unattractive mushroom shape. A shorter mushroom than before, but a mushroom nonetheless.
Took one more shot hours later, after it was all dry. Yep, it's a mushroom. Haven't had one of those cuts in 25 years, but at least this time around I didn't pay a professional for it, knew it needed some layers, and didn't brush it out. But it's still a mushroom. Or a covid bob, if you want to make a bad haircut sound classier.
The good news is I have some bounce back in my hair now since it's not so weighted down. And even though I don't love my hair at the moment, at least its something different. Plus, I took a risk, which I think I should get a gold star for, even though the results weren't spectacular.
I promised a friend I wouldn't trim it again, as I'm going to be bald by this time next week if I keep picking up the scissors. Now I just need to patiently wait to get back in to someone with the skills to make my hair look like it did in these pictures from 5-6 years ago.
I loved that cut! Until I can get it again, I'll be over here sporting my mushroom-ish covid bob. Try not to be jealous.











1 comment:
My youngest daughter (still in single-digits at the time, but turned 10 last week) and I were going to get our hair cut on March 7th. Hers was really long and generally a tangled mess and the second she declared willing to have it cut, I phoned my friend. (I've cut all of my children's and my husband's hair for many years, but she wouldn't let me.) And I figured I'd get mine cut, too, as I really liked it when I got it cut to chin-length a year ago.
Buuut...my friend went into isolation on March 6th. So my hair is still long (and has to stay that way for summer--I cannot stand hair on my neck when it's hot, so my hair has to be long enough to put up).
But when the second week of lockdown my nine-year-old daughter asked if she could cut her own hair, I figured, why not? The worst that could happen was that it would look horrible...and there was nobody to see her anyway, and hair grows. She didn't leave the house from March 23rd to May 4th, and only twice between May 4th and May 21st. Our lockdown was extremely strict. In the end, she asked her 11-year-old sister to do it instead, and she did such an awesome job that I aaaaalllmost asked her to do mine, too. But I didn't, because I really needed it to be long enough for a ponytail by the middle of May.
Post a Comment