Last month marked one year since the plan Silas had for his senior year and career path was upended. The change was a good one, but his senior year had a wonky start because he immediately launched into working non-stop all summer and had to come up with an entirely new school plan on the fly. He ultimately decided to enroll at Western Governor's University, a competency-based school that's exclusively online, but didn't start until December because it took a while to figure out how to move forward.
Last month was also when Silas completed enough credits to be considered a high school graduate. His first term of college wasn't over until the end of the month, but his high school career ended on May 11th.
I'd asked him several months ago how he'd like to celebrate his high school graduation. I figured my people-loving, extroverted son would be eager to throw a big bash. Good thing I asked because I was wrong. He had no interest in a party. I asked if he'd like to mark the milestone instead by going out to dinner at the restaurant of his choice with the other Ws and Natie. He thought that was perfect.
We had to wait until social distancing restrictions were lifted enough to allow for the celebration, but tonight was the night. We all gathered together for dinner at Claim Jumper and that was that. It was low-key and anti-climactic, yet fitting for a kid who, on a practical level, ended high school a year ago when he transitioned to being a college student with a full-time job.
What's next? He's still working with the grade school kids at church and started his second term of college classes last week. We're super proud of him!

1 comment:
Congratulations Silas 🎉 How exciting!
Post a Comment