Saturday, February 15, 2014

BITTERSWEET

Sonja.  We met when I was 19 and she was 18.  We've been friends for half of our lives. She moved over 2000 miles away the month before Naomi was born and the amount of time I've seen her since then is small enough to be counted in hours.

She's getting married right this very minute.  It's a small ceremony, one that our family was invited to. Not near her home across the country, but three hours away from me.

We weren't able to go.

In the scheme of life, today is a blip on the radar.  In the last several months, and especially today, it's really, really, really hard for me.

I'm not meeting her new husband.  I'm not seeing the winter wedding she's dreamed and talked about the whole time I've known her.  I'm not watching her walk down the aisle.

I'm missing out on something that is so very important to me. I've anticipated missing this day for several months and thought I'd shed as many tears as I possibly could over it.  I was wrong.  I'm been crying for two days straight.

I'm so happy for her. I'm so sad for me.




6 comments:

Sara Shearer said...

I'm so sorry Bethany. That is such a hard feeling, not being able to be there for your friend. She is so blessed I'm sure, just knowing your behind her and praying for her. May the Lord comfort your sweet aching heart.

Schwarzen Family Missions/To Sow a Seed said...

Oh, that IS a hard one! Praying for the new couple, and for you to feel supernatural peace as you miss the celebration. :-(

Kristal said...

Oh Bethany... I am so sorry.

Heather A said...

I'm sad for you, with you. Hugs.

Congratulations to Sonja and her groom.

More hugs to you.

Bethany said...

Thanks, ladies. Missing her wedding was such a huge disappointment. :(

Linda B. said...

I am so very sorry. That is tough. ((hugs))