Wednesday, December 26, 2012

A SON'S GIFT TO HIS DAD

September 22, 2012 - Silas posted the following on his blog.

WANTED:JOBS

So I haven't posted in a while and so I thought I'd post about this. Christmas is coming up so I want to get my dad a bike "don't tell him " for Christmas. I would like to play handy man to earn some money to buy the bike with.

When I say handy man, this is what I mean. I can do yard work (pulling weeds, picking food from trees & gardens, pruning, and raking). I can help with younger kids (changing diapers- except blow outs (: , making and giving bottles, and keeping babies and toddlers entertained). I can do kitchen work (help with cooking, wash dishes, serve meals, clear meals, sweep, and wash down tables). I can wash and fold laundry. I can clean bathrooms, clean rooms, vacuum, dust, and make beds. If there is something you think I can do that I forgot to mention, then comment on this post and tell me.

O.K., sorry kids, but I can't do your homework. That's your job.

If you are interested, then please contact me and we'll figure out the details.



November 18, 2012 - I posted the following on Facebook.

I want to share something that I can't blog about, so I'm doing it here with custom settings to hide it from those who need to remain clueless.

Silas wanted to get Tim a bike for Christmas. Our kids have a regular payday and giving is part of the
mandatory budget, but he knew that wasn't going to be nearly enough money. Additionally, the kids' payday has been suspended indefinitely until Tim's employed again. That's fine and just part of life, but it meant a bike purchase would be even harder. So, he wrote a blog post looking for work.

Enter person #1. He worked for this person almost once a week in October. While the mandatory budget is tithe, save, give, and spend, I bent the rules for this particular project and the revised budget was tithe and bike. Toward the end of October this person was at the store with Silas and they saw a floor model bike marked down about 40%. The person bought it, is storing it at their house, and made up a ledger for Silas to keep track of how much more he owed on it, paying him his tithe and crediting the rest to his account. We're anti-debt, so Silas was concerned I'd be upset with this plan, but, given all the details, it's totally fine with me. He was ecstatic when he told me to check FB messages to see the picture the person had sent me of Silas with the bike.

Enter person #2. This person hired Silas for a project. Due to the fact that this is his first venture into the working world and a chance to prove himself to be a good worker, I did not let Silas charge a specific rate. Instead, he accepted whatever payment his employer found reasonable. Needless to say, he had no idea what to expect from person #2 and was practically giddy when it was enough to tithe, pay off the bike ... and have a few bucks to spare.

All three bigs are incredibly cheerful and thoughtful givers, but this was the first time one of them had to go above and beyond their regular routine to give what they really wanted to give. I am so proud of Silas for accomplishing his goal!!

Now pretend like you never read this, at least when talking to or near Tim.






#1 - SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Top secret operation commencing shortly. Silas and I are heading out in a couple hours to pick up the bike he bought for Tim. So stinkin' proud of that kid!! Everyone has been told that I have an errand to run, that the garage will be off limits from this afternoon until some point tomorrow, and that I'll take Silas with me because I need a little help. The other kids will be napping, so Tim will have to stay home with them.





#4 - Mission accomplished. The garage is now off limits to all other Ws.


December 26, 2012 - Silas wrote a blog post about giving Tim the bike, which includes pictures and a video.  Please go check it out and leave him a comment!!




No comments: