The House of Sixty Fathers, written by Meinert De Jong and illustrated by Maurice Sendak
Pre-read for Silas and Devon. The fictional story of a young boy who was separated from his family during the Japanese invasion of China and the long journey he takes to find his way back to his home and family. I had a really hard time getting into this book and it won't make my list of favorites, but it was fine. Silas liked it enough to say he'd read it again. Incidentally, one of the author's other books, The Wheel on the School, also took me a long time to get into and I enjoyed it much more the second time through than the first.
Homesick: My Own Story, written by Jean Fritz and illustrated by Margot Tomes
Pre-read for Silas and Devon. This book is technically fiction, but mostly fact, and I really enjoyed it. The author is an American who was born and raised in China, then moved to America just before eighth grade. This is her story of leaving the only land she knew, a country in turmoil, to live in the country she was homesick for, a country she'd never been to.
The Kite Fighters, written by Linda Sue Park
Pre-read for Silas and Devon. The fictional story of two brothers, one skilled at making kites and the other at flying them, who want to combine their talents for the New Year Festival kite fights, yet birth order and tradition dictate the brother less skilled at flying would have to be the one to compete.
Mission to Cathay, written by Madeleine Polland and illustrated by Peter Landa
Pre-read for Silas and Devon. The story of the first Western Christian missionary to mainland China. I did not enjoy this book at all, but I slogged through it. The story was interesting, but the way the book was written has it ranked in my five least favorite school books ... and I'm not sure I even know what the other four books in that category are.
The Big Wave, written by Pearl S. Buck
Pre-read for Silas and Devon. The fictional story of a boy whose home and family are washed away in a Japanese tidal wave. A quick read with lessons in courage, friendship, and priorities.
Sacred Marriage: What If God Designed Marriage More to Make Us Holy Than to Make Us Happy?, written by Gary Thomas
I'm reading through this book with a group of friends, discussing one chapter each week. The group's on week four, but I finished the whole book and am going back each week to re-read and discuss the chapter the group is on. Lots of challenging things in this book!
2 comments:
I'm jealous at how much you read!! I've read "Sacred Marriage" and loved it.
Kami - It was almost all school stuff. Don't be impressed. :)
Post a Comment