Born in the Year of Courage, written by Emily Crofford
Pre-read for Silas and Devon. This work of fiction is based on the true story of a Japanese teenager who was shipwrecked in the 1800s, rescued by Americans, then unable to return to his isolationist country without being put to death. The boys and I all enjoyed the book.
Young Fu of the Upper Yangtze, written by Elizabeth Foreman Lewis and illustrated by William Low
Read aloud for Silas and Devon. This is the fictional story of a teenage boy and his mother as they move from the Chinese countryside to the city so that the boy can begin a coppersmith apprenticeship. The boys and I all enjoyed this book.
The Cat Who Went to Heaven, written by Elizabeth Coatsworth and illustrated by Raoul Vitale
Pre-read for Silas and Devon. The story of a Japanese artist who is commissioned by a priest to paint a picture of Buddha. He chooses to include a cat, an animal who previously had been denied Buddha's blessing, in the the work of art and risks having the painting and his reputation destroyed because of that choice. None of us were crazy about this book.
Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes, written by Eleanor Coerr and illustrated by Ronald Himler
Pre-read for Silas and Devon. The story of a young girl who faces leukemia, a disease she acquired because of the atomic bomb America dropped on Japan during World War II. Quick read that the boys and I liked.
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey, written by Jill Bolte Taylor, Ph.D.
The author recounts her experience of having a stroke, the eight year recovery process, and the things she's learned from the ordeal. The book was too science-y and New Age-ish for my taste, so I ended up skimming some chapters, but it was very interesting to read through her description of having a stroke and I admire her determination to recover completely, no matter how long and hard the process was.
p. 121 Nothing external to me had the power to take away my peace of heart and mind. That was completely up to me. I may not be in total control of what happens to my life, but I certainly am in charge of how I choose to perceive my experience.
p. 146 My anger response, for example, is a programmed response that can be set off automatically. Once triggered, the chemical released by my brain surges through my body and I have a physiological experience. Within 90 seconds from the initial trigger, the chemical component of my anger has completely dissipated from my blood and my automatic response is over. If, however, I remain angry after those 90 seconds have passed, then it is because I have chosen to let that circuit continue to run. Moment by moment, I make the choice to either hook into my neurocircuitry or move back into the present moment, allowing that reaction to melt away as fleeting physiology.
They Loved to Laugh, written by Kathryn Worth
I don't remember where I heard about this book, but it's been on my personal "to read" list for a long time. It reminded me a lot of Understood Betsy, which I've read to the kids twice and loved each time. It's the story of a solemn, orphaned girl who moves in with a not-so-solemn family. I enjoyed it.
p.82 The girl sighed wearily. "There seem to be many things that can go wrong with a web in the weaving, Aunt Eunice."
"Yea, many things. As with the web of life itself. but thee will learn to avoid they difficulties and failures in both if thee determines on patience and perseverance."
The Orange Outlaw, written by Ron Roy and illustrated by John Steven Gurney
Silas set up a library in our living room for several days, complete with our own library cards, books organized in alphabetical order by title, and a book drop. This is the book I checked out, part of the A to Z Mystery Series. It was a quick read after I crawled into bed one night and I enjoyed it, though it's obviously written for kids. I like mysteries and alliteration, so a mystery series with alliterative titles will probably make me happy.
Designated Fat Girl: A Memoir, written by Jennifer Joyner
The author shares the story of sixteen years of food addiction, her attempts to lose weight, the variety of ways her obesity impacted the lives of herself, her husband, and their children, and how she came to the decision to have gastric bypass surgery to help her drop down from her high of 336 pounds. Regardless of how one feels about that particular surgical procedure, her story is candid, heart-breaking, and interesting.
The Confession, written by John Grisham
I love Grisham's legal thrillers, but hadn't read one in a long time. I enjoyed this one. This particular story involves a crime that included sexual assault. Just a heads up for those who aren't comfortable with that.
Henry Reed, Inc., written by Keith Robertson
Pre-read for Silas and Devon. The story is written as the journal of a boy who lives overseas with his parents, is spending the summer in America with his aunt and uncle, and consistently finds himself and his friend Midge in the midst of various adventures. Silas and I thought it was fine and Devon just started it.
Save Me, written by Lisa Scottoline
The fictional story of a mother forced to choose between saving her child's life or the lives of others and how her choice impacts her family and community. I felt fairly neutral about this book.
No comments:
Post a Comment