Thursday, February 23, 2012

PSA: THERE IS NO RIGHT OR PERFECT SCHOOLING OPTION

It's the time of year where people are starting to make decisions about where their kids will go to school in the fall, which means I'm hearing and seeing lots of comments about the virtues or problems with various options, some sincere and others snarky, and getting questions about our homeschooling experience. In light of that, I figured it was a good time to remind everyone of a few things.

* There are public, private, and homeschooling teachers who love their job, care about their students, try their best to make learning fun, and do what they can to accommodate the needs and preferences of all the kids they teach. And there are public, private, and homeschooling teachers who don't.

* The schooling option that works best for one family's goals, lifestyle, and/or income may not be the best option for another family.

* The schooling option that works best at one point in a child's life may not work well at other points in that same child's life.

* The schooling option that works best for one child may not be the best option for their siblings.

* Some families don't have multiple schooling options.

* Education choices are not the same as marriage vows. You aren't making a lifetime commitment, simply doing the best you can for this season of life.

* There are kids who thrive in every possible way while attending private school. And there are kids who don't.

* There are kids who thrive in every possible way while attending public school. And there are kids who don't.

* There are kids who thrive in every possible way while being homeschooled. And there are kids who don't.

* While we should take education choices seriously, it's also important to remember that what's going on in their home has far more influence over a child's success and happiness in life than where they do science and math.

4 comments:

Abby said...

Great post and I totally agree! I was totally blasted on FB after a friend posted to vote for the levy. He said we should care more about their spiritual development and home school them, that there was no biblical basis for sending our kids to public school where they are brainwashed eight hours a day and we must be liberals. My friend who was posting is very conservative.....(I must admit to being s liberal, but the rest was ridiculous!) I actually replied I was so glad most of my home schooled friends didn't agree with him and didn't judge us for what wee have prayerfully considered is the best option at this time in our kids lives! Thanks for being another voice of reason!!

connib said...

Excellent post! Thank you!

BETHANY said...

Abby - It boggles my mind how strongly some people feel that education choices are a "one size fits all" kind of thing, regardless of which option they lean toward.

Karly81 said...

I love this Bethany, my thoughts exactly. -Karly Wright