A few years ago Ben took his son to the cemetery. After their visit he e-mailed a picture of Hunter at our mom's grave and titled it "an introduction". It was simultaneously really sad and very sweet. It was then that I realized I didn't have any pictures of my mom's grave, so I made a point to get one on this trip.
The phrase "HOME FREE" came from a song with that title. I'll share the lyrics at the end of the post, but first I want to share one more picture.
As we entered the cemetery the boys decided to see if they could find Grandma Barbara's grave on their own. Seeing flowers on some graves, they asked if hers would have any. I told them no and sent them on their way. Imagine my surprise when I came upon my mom's grave looking like this.

Flowers. There were flowers on her grave. Granted, they were fake like all the other ones in the cemetery, but they were there. And they were "fresh", neither faded from the sun nor beat up from the wind and rain. You guys, my mom's been dead for well over 18 years and none of our family lives in Brookings anymore. That means someone, and I have no idea who, has gone out of their way to acknowledge her life nearly two decades after her death. I don't know if it was a random occurrence that I just happened to catch or if it's been going on all these years, but it blew me away. Totally made my day and I've smiled each time I've thought about it since. And sometimes I tear up while I'm smiling.
Anyway, I just wanted to share these pictures with you - the first because it's part of my life and the second because finding those flowers on my mom's grave meant a lot to me.
I'll leave you with the lyrics to the song I mentioned above, which was sung at my mom's memorial service, and a link to a video (audio only) at the end.
Home Free, by Wayne Watson
I'm trying hard not to think you unkind
But Heavenly Father
If you know my heart
Surely you can read my mind
Good people underneath the sea of grief
Some get up and walk away
Some will find ultimate relief
CHORUS
Home free, eventually
At the ultimate healing we will be home free
Home free, oh I've got a feeling
At the ultimate healing
We will be home free
Out in the corridors we pray for life
A mother for her baby, a husband for his wife
Sometimes the good die young
It's sad but true
And while we pray for one more heartbeat
The real comfort is with you
You know pain has little mercy
And suffering's no respecter of age, of race or position
I know every prayer gets answered
But the hardest one to pray is slow to come
Oh Lord, not mine, but Thy will be done
Let it be...
CHORUS
Home free, eventually
At the ultimate healing we will be home free
Home free, oh I've got a feeling
At the ultimate healing
We will be home free
Home free, eventually
At the ultimate healing gonna be home free
Home free, oh its more than a feeling
At the ultimate healing
Gonna be home free
UPDATE - Five years later I found out who put the flowers on my mom's grave and eventually shared that story publicly.
5 comments:
Such a precious post Bethany. Thanks for sharing this. Huge hugs.
Cheri
Bethany,
Thank you for sharing about your mom.
Bethany,
Thank you for sharing this! How lovely to know that someone is remembering your mom by placing flowers on her grave. I believe God meant you to see those flowers so you would know that she is being cared for by an angel that He sent especially for her and your family.
I've never heard this song.
It's beautiful.
Thank you for bringing me here today.
xo
Isn't it a neat song, Jani?
Post a Comment