This return to apartment life is fine and it's serving the purpose it was intended for, but I really miss our yard and garden. A lot.
Well, over the weekend I got a message from a friend telling me to go raid her garden this week. What a treat!!
Silas, who had to choose between me squinting into the sun or being silhouetted with it behind me, took a picture of me during my one time in a garden this year. Not a great picture, but we had to document the occasion!
.
.
The loot.
.
Tons of collard greens (the picture doesn't really show just how much of this we have), lettuce, spinach, kale, a bit of basil, and a few strawberries. I've never cooked collard greens, but Tim, being raised in the South, likes them. I've never cooked with kale either, but some friends on the Sonlight forums just shared some recipes with me that I'm going to try. Actually, they shared recipes for kale and collard greens. So, we'll be trying some new recipes in the next couple days.
Bonus points for access to the chicken coop.
I just sent a friend out the door with some of our excess leafy products, which makes the little garden trip even better. Love paying stuff forward!
Anyway, I was in the dirt, harvested produce, have various leaves all over my table, and am really happy about it. Just had to share.
1 comment:
We like our kale in "Zuppa Toscana", the soup served at The Olive Garden. If you search on it, you can find a couple different recipes for it. It's yummy!!
Do you know about CSAs? It stands for Community Supported Agriculture. We have a very small garden that we're terrible about keeping up, so we signed up with a local farm to get weekly shares of their harvest. I'm not a huge fan of veggies, but I'm learning to like some new ones. BTW, my most recent blog post shows some dishes I made with some of our CSA veggies!
Enjoy the yummy food!
Post a Comment