Monday, May 10, 2010

I NEED SOME ANSWERS

Water - Brookings, Ashland, and Beaverton all had tap water that tasted good. Wilsonville, I've discovered, has tap water that makes you think you're drinking straight from a swimming pool. It's disgusting.

So, what do the locals do? Drink it anyway? I won't buy water. So, what's the better option between a filtered pitcher or a filter to put on your faucet. I think the faucet one would be a nuisance, but the pitcher takes up fridge space. I'm leaning toward the pitcher, but I'm wondering what others like and why.

Phone - We've had cell phones since September 2005. We've used Sprint that whole time and never had any problems. Unfortunately, our service tanks about half a mile down the road from our new home. You'd think a suburb of a metropolitan area would have good service throughout the city limits, but ... well, you'd be wrong. If we stand outside or in the corner of our bedroom, then we get enough of a signal that we can have a conversation, but it's still scratchy. Anywhere else in our home is pointless. Sprint sent us a signal booster, but it hasn't helped at all.

I really, really, really, don't want to have to break our current contract with Sprint, but we also need phones that work. Any suggestions for signal boosters? What company do other Wilsonville residents use, particularly people that live past the high school?

Chair - I have a chair that sat in the garage of our Beaverton home because we didn't have a place for it inside. We have space now, but the chair needs some help. The seat was caned, which looks cool, but makes for lousy support if you actually want to use the chair. After a few months of being used for seating, the seat weakened and tore. I've included some pictures of the top and bottom of the chair, so that you can see what I'm talking about.

It's an old chair and I love it, but the seat needs to be functional. I would love to have the caning removed and an upholstered insert made to fit in the hole of the seat. Is there anyone who knows how to do that? Anyone you've used for similar projects that you'd recommend?






6 comments:

Tammy said...

I have been pretty happy with our water. I do put ours in the fridge. I just refill a container because I like it cold. Maybe it's the pipes at the complex though. I do have a filter pitcher that I don't use. You can have it if you want it. We also have Sprint and haven't had any problems. I know that doesn't help you though.

BoundTogetherForGood said...

Bethany, our water is like swimming-poll-water too. I believe it is also naturally heavy in radium too...? Anyway, we had a reverse osmosis filter installed immediately upon moving here in 2002. They inserted a little fountain into the sink. I use tat water for drinking water and to boil spaghetti and such. That water also used to be directed to our fridge for making ice but the ice maker no longer works. I don't want to pay for water either but paying once and just paying to install new filters works for us. The water is amazingly drinkable now and wasn't before.

Meghan said...

We have a filter pitcher in the fridge cuz our water tastes bad too. And we also have Sprint but it works fine for us... bummer deal for you! That's so lame!

Anonymous said...

Can't help on the water or phone since I don't live by you (darn), but the chair - I think you could just make something on top of it. Maybe a thin board cut to shape, foam on top of that and then that fluffy stuff wrapped on it then the fabric of your choice. Technically I'm not any help... but in my head it would totally work LOL

{my dad buys water in HUGE containers at the local drug store - you know those water things - do you have those? He thinks it's worth it cause he hates his water}

Lisa said...

As for the water, granted we live in Tualtin and I think our water tastes fine, but we use a Brita. We bought the largest one and still manage to fill it several times a day, but it is worth it to us.
The cell phone, I have no booster suggestions. I had Sprint forever ago when I first moved here and they always dropped my calls. Then I tried At&T and many others. Ended up with Verizon and have had them for YEARS (several moves) over 6 with no problems ever. You may want to consider switching.
For your chair, check out this tutorial... http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2009/04/diy-chair-recovered-cinderella-story/
or this one... http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2009/08/one-fair-chair/

BETHANY said...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Tammy - The bars vanish just after the school.

Meghan - "Lame" is definitely the right word. :)