Friday, May 21, 2010

MY LIVING ROOM

I'm almost 34 years old and have never owned a home. That means I've spent a lot of adult years in rentals. Never feeling a sense of permanency and being a bit frugal, I've never taken the time or spent the money to have a living room that I love.

Our move to an apartment a few weeks ago was solely for the purpose of saving money so that we can pay off Tim's school debt faster. Normally that would make me be even more hesitant to decorate the way I want. However, through random circumstances, our apartment complex painted one of our walls the color of my choice. A beautiful blue.

I love, love, love colored walls, white furniture and a few light/medium wood pieces! A lot. However, I've never had a colored wall in my life. Well, that wall inspired me. I figured that if I already had a little color and if we're going to be here a while, then I should spend a little money to really make this place something I love.

I hopped on Craiglist to look for the furniture that I've coveted for years. I periodically look for it there and drool over it on the IKEA website. Guess what? Not only was it on Craigslist, which it always is in some form, but it was the best deal I've ever seen. Ever. And it was about $10 more than the deposit we were getting back from our rental in Beaverton. Clearly it was God's will that I get the furniture. Don't you think? To make things even better, the sellers, who live over an hour away, ended up giving Tim a discount because of some little marks their kids got on the slipcovers. So, I got both pieces for less than half price. Love it!

Tim, who has the ability to figure out spatial stuff in ways that I'll never be able to, was able to load a couch and chair into our van. I'd never have been able to do that. Then, thanks to the e-mail and digital pictures, Beep and Sonja were able to help me figure out how to arrange the living room. Next up was a collage of pictures on the wall. A couple pics had to be matted and re-framed, so I got some cheap frames at Value Village, mats on sale at Freddy's, and busted out my black spray paint. Then Tim did about 75% of the work in getting the collage done and listened to me stress out while I did my 25%. The man deserves an award.

Here's the almost finished product. I have a couple little frames that we need to fill, but I love the way the collage turned out! The lamp on the left is ultimately going in the boys' room, but the living room is borrowing it until I find the lamp I really want. Meanwhile, the cave feel of the living room had to end. And the couch will eventually have some pillows with a little black and blue in them.
.


Now, the whole living room isn't done, but the above view, taken from the hallway, makes me smile. Below is a picture taken from the dining room. All but one of the plants on the shelf will be put somewhere else and I need to figure out what to put on the wall. Maybe a mirror. The "5 Ws" frame was there, but we ended up adding it to the collage. The rocking chair, which my grandparents bought to rock my newborn mom in, doesn't fit in the main seating area, but it makes a cozy little reading corner by the window. And just as an fyi, the couch isn't normally pulled out from the wall and flaunting the lamp cords. I just forgot to push it back after hanging the pictures.
.

This is the view from the front door. That big wall space is going to have something colorful and with a chunk of blue in it, perhaps a world map, hung on it. And that cord will get hidden. And something, maybe a lamp, will get put on the TV cabinet.
.


So, it's not done, but it's getting there. I think I'm going to have a living room I love. Cool, huh?



19 comments:

Peg said...

I LOVE IT! I love the look of color on walls too. And the white is gorgeous. I could NEVER do it here but it is beautiful. Good job honey.

Anonymous said...

Oh Bethany! I looks great. I love the picture collage. The blue color is wonderful, and I am so happy that you have a room that you love. It is perfect!

Linda said...

Looks great!! I understand about always renting. I don't like to spend money on our rental house either.

Traci said...

Love that color and what you did with the pictures! It's gonna look great tomorrow with all those smiling faces sitting in it!

Robin said...

That color is perfect! I am so happy for you. I lived life as a renter for the first 19 years of our marriage. I totally "get" your feelings for white walls. *snore*

Chloe said...

I love your wall and specifically that color of blue. I just painted something very like it in my laundry room. I put in a white and black dot floor. I think that look is very crisp and clean.

I grew up in military housing and never had a colored wall in my life until we owned our first home. It was a big event for me and I've been painting walls ever since.

I also like that coastal, airy, cottage look. Love the slipcovers and someday I plan on sewing some for my couch. Good job. I love it.

Renee said...

It's BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Lisa said...

They let you paint?!!!! Did they charge you? I need details. If I can paint in my new, mystery, soon-to-be apartment I will be in heaven! I looks GREAT! REALLY GREAT!

Mama in Uganda said...

Absolutely wonderfully lovely :-)

Pam Carter said...

It looks beautiful! I think we have a budding interior decorator on our hands! Will you do design consulting work for me? I love how your home reflects your family and you. We bought our house 7 years ago. The walls are white, the counter tops are white, the appliances are white. I would LOVE some color, maybe someday!

Gabe, Amber, Jada and Micah Carter said...

Your living room is beautiful! I love your style. :-)

The Boggs Family said...

That looks sooo good! I'm so happy that it worked out for you to get the furniture you want- isn't God good?!!

pondladyrae said...

I think the picture on the top left is a little crooked. :\ (just kidding) :) It looks amazing Bethany. "Every good and perfect gift comes from above" And that would include your gift for design as well as the sofas.

Jen said...

I LOVE IT!! Beautiful & so pretty!! ;)

perkyguy said...

I like.

The Moffits said...

Turned out great! Now about a window treatment.....

Anonymous said...

Wow that looks great and I love the blue!

Unknown said...

That's darling! I love it!

Hook House said...

Lovin' it! :o)