Wednesday, October 15, 2008

GENTLE & CHEERFUL

Proverbs 15:1 A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

Proverbs 15:30 A cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones.

It's hard to be grumpy when you choose to keep a smile on your face. It's hard to speak harshly when you keep your voice soft. It's hard to be discouraging when you are kind.

My goals for the day are to have a mouth that speaks gently and a face that is cheerful. I have some room for improvement in both of those areas, particularly when dealing with the little Ws. Care to join me?

5 comments:

Marion Acres said...

I'd love to, but I don't think this tactic works on 20 month olds, sigh. :-P I can feel the terrible 2s coming.

AshlandFive said...

"She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue." Prov 31:26

I love this one too. I have it in my bathroom...the only place of solace. ;) It reminds me that when I come out my words need to be filled with wisdom. In anger/frustration there can be no wisdom or faithful instruction. I am still workin' on it though!

The Moffits said...

One thing that's helped me is living in a village where they might chop me if I act grumpy and offend them. So, come on over!! :) Seriously, one of the most offensive things in this whole country is being harsh. So, for the most part, everyone is gentle - which just goes to show, our kids will follow whatever we make the priority. So, sure, I'll join you in your 'quest to be gentle'.

Mama in Uganda said...

I would love to join you! Our family verese comes from Ephesians 4. "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouth but only what is helpful for building other up according to their needs."

BETHANY said...

Rachelle-
Rough time parenting lately?

Laura-
Good verse!

Beep-
The threat of being chopped up would definitely motivate me to act appropriately. :)

Summer-
That's one of my favorite verses, but a hard one for me to follow. My mouth is my downfall.