Monday, September 15, 2008

BARGAIN BREAD

I know I've mentioned the Franz store before, but I wanted to show you exactly what a trip there looks like.

I usually get around 10 loaves of bread, hoagies, buns, and english muffins. Occasionally, like on this trip, I splurge on a loaf of Cinnamon Swirl bread. You can earn more products from the free rack based on how much money you spend. I always let the boys choose the free items, which is how we always end up with some white bread, breadsticks (the hard, cracker kind) or other random items. My method is to go straight to the close date rack to get the best deal on whatever is there, then I get the rest of what I need from the regular shelves. I would encourage you to find the store closest to you or another bread outlet, such as the IBC companies.

I always get about 10 loaves of the Big Horn Valley because it's the best quality bread they have. While I usually get it for 99 cents on the clearance rack, they didn't have any there this time. So, at $1.79 per loaf on the regular shelf, I only bought three and stocked up on the clearance breads instead.

Here is the result of last week's trip. All labels are Franz, unless otherwise indicated.

(3) Hot Dog Buns - 8 ct
Cinnamon Swirl
(3) Haggen English Muffins - 6 ct
(2) English Muffins - 6 ct
Wendy's Hamburger Buns - 12 ct
(2) Hoagie Rolls - 6 ct
(3) Big Horn Valley All Natural 100% Whole Wheat - 26 oz
(2) McKenzie Farms Old Fashioned Buttermilk - 24 oz
(4) Cannon Beach Milk & Honey - 24 oz
Texas Toast Enriched Thick Sliced - 24 oz
Whole Grain White - 22.5 oz
Haggen White Enriched - 22.5 oz

So, anyone want to take a guess at what this cost me? I'm thinking about going to WinCo to see what it would have cost me there. Mere curiosity.





7 comments:

Unknown said...

hm... since you are a bargain queen.... somewhere around $25? Since we bought a freezer for the garage, I've been trying out the Enteman's (sp?) bakery outlet by Michaels. You can get better deals than the grocery store for sure, but I'm wondering if it's really better than Winco. At least I feel like I'm buying bread with less high-fructose corn syrup. (ugh) Maybe I should try your bread store!

Anonymous said...

Since you are so good at finding deals, I am guessing it was less than $10, hey maybe you even made money! I am always so impressed with your grocery game buys! Good job, I am curious to find out the price you paid!

Jessica Rae said...

$1.00...all right, $8.65 (I can tell you're pretty proud of this particular trip :) can't wait for "the big reveal"

BETHANY said...

Well, Bri was the closest. I'd love to earn money buying groceries, but it doesn't happen.

Just for kicks, I walked to WinCo last night to see how much it would have cost me there. I had to make a few adjustments. First, they don't sell Wendy's little buns in 12 ct bags, so I just did the plain Franz buns in an 8 ct bag. It's about the same amount of bread. Second, they didn't have the Cinnamon Swirl bread. They had a comparable one and I used that, though it was on sale. Third, the english muffins were on sale. Fourth, they don't carry Haggen's bread, so I used the comparable Franz bread.

So, my savings was actually a little higher than I calculated, because some items were on sale and I don't know the regular price. And the savings would be even more for people who shop somewhere other than WinCo, as that's the cheapest store to get groceries at.

Franz price - $20.95
WinCo price - $70.47
Savings - 71%

Unknown said...

HOLY cow. That's all I have to say!

BETHANY said...

Bri-
Crazy, huh? You can go to their products page and get a list of all the ingredients and nutrition info if you're looking for a certain type of bread.

http://usbakery.com/index.php?page=products

Marion Acres said...

Aw, not fair.. I was just about to scroll down and guess $20 but I see you already posted the total so I guess I won't get andy credit for that. :( but I was the closest!! :-P hehe. Nice work!