Over the last four weeks I've been able to attend a study, taught by Judy Slaughter, called "To Love Their Husbands". It's been both challenging and encouraging. I don't think I gained any new insights about what my weaknesses as a wife are, as they're pretty obvious. However, it was great to be reminded of the importance of my role as a wife, the significant influence I have in my home, and the consequences, both positive and negative, of the choices I make in my relationship with Tim. I'm going to share some highlights in the hopes that they'll encourage or challenge some of you.
FOURTH CLASS
* Proverbs 14:1a The wise woman builds her house.
* Colossians 3:23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men. When I can't choose to serve Tim, I must choose to obey the Lord. I can be a godly wife as unto the Lord when I don't have the strength to do it unto Tim.
* Choose the home you want. Who are couples I admire? Do I realize their marriages took time and work to develop? Is our marriage one that inspires others to have a godly marriage?
* Consider the cost. The things I want in my home will come at an expense to me. If I want a godly home, then I need to be a godly wife. If I want cheerful and obedient children, then I must have a cheerful attitude and train my children.
* Conceive a plan with the Lord. Take a chunk of time to seek the Lord and His will for me as a wife and for our home. Ask Him the questions and then quietly wait for the answers. Have a journal ready to write down the verses and thoughts He brings to your mind.
* Jeremiah 33:3 Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.
* Choose the builder. God wants to communicate with us. He truly cares about the homes we're building.
* Psalm 127:1 Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain.
* Choose the site. Do I want to build my house on biblical principles or worldly viewpoints?
* Matthew 7: 24-27 ... built his house on a rock ... it did not fall because it had its foundation on the rock ...
* Choose the foundation. I need to center my home on God.
* Isaiah 33:6 He will be the sure foundation for your times.
* Choose the furnishings. My home will be filled with beautiful treasures when I apply biblical knowledge and wisdom to my life.
* Proverbs 24:3 By wisdom a house is built, and through understanding it is established.
* Ask the Lord to give me the big picture when I'm overwhelmed or discouraged with the daily struggle. View the monotony and daily struggles of running a home not as laying bricks, but as building a mighty cathedral. My perspective has a huge influence on how I respond to my situation.
* Who would pray for Tim more than me? If I'm not praying for him, then who is?
2 comments:
thanks for sharing these! We can never be reminded enough when we're surrounded in the world's (total opposite) view.
Thanks for posting this. I really needed to be reminded of these things!
Post a Comment