I am really pleased with the results of my poll on spending habits. Only a few people are relying on credit to maintain their lifestyle. That's fantastic! I'd encourage those three and anyone else who is spending more than they're earning to do whatever it takes to live at or below their means. Debt stinks. It really does. You can't undo past financial decisions, but you can decide to choose wisely from this moment on. Here are a few verses that are helpful in shifting from a mindset of instant gratification and discontentment to one of gratefulness and contentment.
Proverbs 30:8b-9 Give me neither poverty no riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, "Who is the Lord?" Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.
Romans 13:8 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another.
I Timothy 6:6-8 But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.
Philippians 4:12-13 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
Matthew 6:19-21 Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Acts 20:35b It is more blessed to give than to receive.
I encourage everyone to regularly evaluate the way they manage their finances. It is said that the best way to know a person's priorities is to look at their checkbook. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having quantity or quality of possessions. There is, however, a problem with selfishness, greed, discontentment, and pride. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being broke. There is, however, a problem with discontentment, fear, and trusting Visa rather than God to meet your needs.
My challenge for everyone is to look at where your money is going, honestly evaluate your motives in financial decisions, and make any necessary adjustments.
No comments:
Post a Comment