Over the last four weeks I've been able to attend a study, taught by Judy Slaughter, called "To Love Their Husbands". It's been both challenging and encouraging. I don't think I gained any new insights about what my weaknesses as a wife are, as they're pretty obvious. However, it was great to be reminded of the importance of my role as a wife, the significant influence I have in my home, and the consequences, both positive and negative, of the choices I make in my relationship with Tim. I'm going to share some highlights in the hopes that they'll encourage or challenge some of you.
SECOND CLASS
* Colossians 2:8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ. I must purpose to not accept the world's philosophy on marriage. Our society endorses a critical spirit and applauds an independent one.
* Critical Spirit - Michal II Samuel 6:12-23 ... Michal watched from a window ... she despised him in her heart ... David returned home to bless his household ... (Michal) said, "How the kind of Israel has distinguished himself today, disrobing in the sight of the slave girls of his servants as any vulgar fellow would!" ... And Michal daughter of Saul had no children to the day of her death.
* Michal's critical spirit brought contempt, not respect. It eventually caused separation and a virtual end to her marriage to David.
* When Tim or I are spiritually blessed, Satan will work to bring strife between us.
* What is my response to Tim when he attempts to bless our family?
* Psalm 141:3 Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips.
* Independent Spirit - Vashti Esther 1:9-22 ... King Xerxes / commanded the seven eunuchs / to bring before him Queen Vashti ... Queen Vashti refused to come. Then the king became furious and burned with anger ... For the queen's conduct will become known to all the women all the women, and so they will despise their husbands ... There will be no end of disrespect and discord ... Vashti is never again to enter the presence of King Xerxes. Also let the king give the royal position to someone else who is better than she.
* Vashti chose to do things her own way, to disobey her king, and to refuse to submit to her husband. The consequence of that choice was the end of her marriage and the end of her job as queen.
* The ramifications of a public conflict always make things more complicated.
* Christ-like Spirit Colossians 3:12-14 Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
* Rather than fearing the loss of my own identity in marriage, I should focus on the fulfillment that comes from God making Tim and I one.
* Why would I willfully do anything, such as criticism or independence, that would cause separation?
No comments:
Post a Comment