With each social expectation for weddings, I asked myself: "Does this achieve the goal of making the people at my wedding feel loved and appreciated for the role they play in my life? Will it help strengthen my marriage and the promises we made to each other?" If the answer was no, I didn't waste any more time.
~ Emily Hardman in I Planned My Wedding in 5 Days. You Could, Too. in The New York Times
********
You have encouraged me to give a cup of cold water in His name and not to worry if the cup is chipped or the house is a mess and all I have to offer is a peanut butter sandwich, because people need a friend more than they need to be impressed with how together we have it.
~ Sandi Heitz at 32:16 in Barbara Lynn Perkins Memorial Service on Youtube (That's my mom's memorial service, for those who aren't familiar with my family.)
********
Your children are watching.
Don't write off the last few weeks of your year. Please. I beg you. Don't do it.
Unless you would allow your child to do the same, don't give him the example of throwing your hands in the air and declaring that the thing you want to do has won over the thing you ought. Don't show him that it's o.k. to set a course, navigate the waters faithfully through storms and floods ... and abandon ship before you reach the shore. You may think that there's no consequences in gifting your child a few early weeks of summer, but the message sent is this:
I want you to work really hard and with your whole heart, and give me your full focus...
Until something else better comes along.
Until I'm too tired to keep going.
Until we can do more fun stuff.
You don't want to raise adults who think that way. The world has enough of those folks.
~ Heather Schwarzen in Finish Strong at To Sow a Seed
********
The roots grow deep when the wind is strong.
~ unknown
********
If you chase after more money and make more money your end goal, you'll never, ever be satisfied. Because there's no such thing as "enough money" when more money is your goal. < snip >
~ Crystal Paine in "I Am A Multi-Millionaire!" on Money Saving Mom
********
No comments:
Post a Comment