Here's our stash. Sweet and salty, chewy and crunchy. Both chip flavors were new to us. Although they were both good, the Late July Mild Green Mojo ones were everyone's favorite by far. Ours were from a discount store and we paid $.99 for 5.5 oz, which is far less expensive than Amazon prices. I'm not sure what they cost in a regular grocery store.
We made several attempts to capture our family movie night on camera, but were completely unable to get a non-fuzzy picture with real smiles, eye contact, and fully visible faces. Oh well. This is real life.
We all enjoyed the movie, then the two littlest Ws went to bed. I had picked up Hotel Rwanda at the library a few days earlier and it got popped in next. Tim and I saw it years ago, but I wanted our big boys to see it. The older they get, the more important I think it is for them to understand real life suffering. There's certainly no one right way to go about that and we won't know until later if we're doing it right, but we take age, personality, details of the exposure, and so on into consideration and felt like this would be a good movie for them to see. We've had some discussions about it since then and requested a few books about Paul Rusesabagina, the main character (and who I'd call the hero) of the movie, from the library, which we'll pick up this week and talk about as we read through them.
Saturday - I got up first and started a batch of lemon ricotta pancakes with blueberry sauce. They may be my favorite pancakes ever and it had been a while since we'd had some. So good!
Next I took Silas and Devon to play kickball and eat lunch with some junior high kids from church. They hopped out of the car and Molly, another mom who was there, hopped in for a pre-planned trip to the home of a friend of mine who just moved into a new home. Molly and I get equally giddy about organizing stuff, so she and I whipped the kitchen and dining room into shape while our kids were playing kickball. Super productive, plus it was fun to just spend some time with both ladies.
The boys and I came home when the youngest two were napping, so Silas and Devon relaxed while Tim and I headed out for some couple time. Habitat for Humanity has a fairly new ReStore just down the road that we've never been to, so we strolled through to see what kind of things they have in stock. Then we went to the new Big 5 in town and checked it out. There's a bakery in the same shopping center as Big 5 called Miranda's Bakery that we've never visited. I'd brought along a few bucks from some money Tim and I were given as date money, so we popped in. We'd actually been there once before, shortly after moving here, but we realized upon walking in that it was a Mexican bakery. There's nothing wrong with that, but at the time we'd been wanting things like maple bars and sprinkled doughnuts and didn't stay. This time we knew what to expect and wanted to try some new things.
Here's what we got. The one on top was dry and flaky with sugar sprinkled on it, reminding me of a cross between phyllo and thin pie crust. It wasn't bad, but I probably wouldn't buy one again. Kinda boring. The one on the left had a thicker crust and was filled with vanilla cream. Pretty much delicious. The one on the right was an apple turnover, which I don't think can ever taste bad. They have a huge variety of Mexican breads and pastries, so we plan on trying a few new ones from time to time.
Two happy customers.
We headed back home after Miranda's and the nappers were awake by then. We all had a couple hours of mellow time, just getting little things done around the house, playing games, and showering. Then we all headed out to a birthday party. We spent the evening outside, ate a ton of great food, met new people, visited with friends we haven't seen in a while, and stayed up entirely too late for people who had church first thing this morning. It was a perfect summer night and totally worth the inadequate sleep that followed.
Sunday - The calendar had "DO NOTHING" penned in for today, which was perfect. We went to church this morning, ate leftovers for every meal, took naps, ate ice cream a friend dropped off earlier in the week, and I took care of some projects I'd needed to wrap up. Now I'm ready to tackle the week ahead!
** This post contains affiliate links and we're grateful when people use them. **




No comments:
Post a Comment