Wednesday, January 7, 2015

9:54

I remember when it started.
Driving up the hill,
On our way to school.
Rounding a corner,
Blinding sun in our eyes.
Mom said she had a lump.

I remember how it was.
So many details,
So many memories.
Two years, three months.

I remember when it ended.
The call at work,
Dad says it’s soon.
He can’t pick me up,
Can’t leave her alone
With my siblings tonight.
A ride home from someone else.
Her labored breathing.
Sitting on the top bunk,
My sister on the bottom.
Dad walks in,
Says she’s gone.
I look at the clock.
It’s 9:54.

4 comments:

perkyguy said...

Your prose makes 23 years seemingly vanish. It seems like it just happened. Nicely written.

Bethany said...

Thanks, Dad. :)

Anonymous said...

Taking a pause at work to read your poem 9:54... your deep reflection and special love for your mom is respectfully appreciated Bethany, Kim Morley (dad's co-worker)

Bethany said...

Thank you, Kim. :)