Redbox freebie. The true story of a pregnant runaway, this movie is all about overcoming obstacles, people trying to right the wrongs of their past, giving compassionate and practical help to those who are struggling, the ripple effects of our decisions on other people. I don't think it was particularly amazing from an acting standpoint, but I love true stories and this one strikes a realistic balance between "doomed for life" and "happily ever after". Bonus points for the fact that it has James Earl Jones (I like his voice) and footage of the people the movie is based on in the credits (love that).
Library. Another movie with James Earl Jones, though I didn't realize we'd watched two of his movies back to back until this moment. This movie is the fictional story of a wealthy businessman who fulfills a wish that his wife made on her deathbed by turning a building they own into a place where kids can come to read, study, or just hang out. It's a place where the underdogs of a rough neighborhood are given a chance to succeed. Predictable, but good.
Redbox freebie. I'd heard nothing but great things about this movie, but I had a mixed reaction to it. I definitely laughed at some parts, as I can relate to days where the nitty gritty of parenting and/or having littles in the house feels overwhelming, I like reminders to keep life in perspective, and the fact that the character who'd be stereotyped as the least responsible, caring, or insightful was a nice guy made me happy. However, I get so annoyed by movies (or anything else) that portray men as incompetent idiots who can't manage a home or care for the basic needs of their own children, which this movie does.
Library. A Christian philosophy student defends his beliefs in a class taught by a professor who's an outspoken atheist. It was good, but, like Mom's Night Out, I didn't think it lived up to all the hype. Maybe I'm just anti-hype.
Borrowed. I've seen this several times in the past, as I love Glen Miller's music, but Silas' piano teacher suggested he watch it as he learns some jazz tunes. James Stewart plays Glenn Miller, a movie about a man who was very popular in the big band era. I really like this movie.
Library. My dad recommended this movie last weekend. It's the true story of two families who escaped East Germany in 1979. An old movie that's not the best quality filming/sound, but it's a really neat story and worth watching.
(This post contains affiliate links.)
No comments:
Post a Comment