Friday, May 2, 2014

BOOKS I FINISHED - APRIL 2014

Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions, written by Lysa TerKeurst

Non-fiction. This is one of two books that Irene gave me and I loved it. I like the author's writing style, the topic was relevant to my life, and there's a nice balance between scripture and real life application.

p.16 - Yes, but I must remember God gave me emotions so I could experience life, not destroy it. 

p.67 - I have to remember that giving honor reveals more about my character than the character of the other person.

p.72 - Remember, feelings are indicators, not dictators. They can indicate there is a situation I need to deal with, but they shouldn't dictate how I react. I have a choice.

p.93 - Am I trying to prove or improve? In other words, is my desire in this conflict to prove that I am right, or is my desire to improve the relationship?

p.111 - Yes, keeping my eyes and my mouth focused on Jesus is a crucial part of my unglued procedure manual.

p.120 - Here's a little sermon I've been preaching to myself: Let your gentleness be evident to all. the "your" part means I do have some. Regardless of the stress I'm under, I am capable of displaying God's gentleness because the Holy Spirit is in me.

p.121 - The more my heart is parked in a place of thanksgiving and rejoicing, the less room I have for grumpiness. The more I rejoice, the more I keep things in perspective. The more I keep things in perspective, the gentler I become. If I want the gentleness inside me to be unleashed, I have to break away from my everyday routine. I have to go where perspective awaits me.

p.154 - The Sabbath isn't just a time to be observed; it's a time to be preserved. The observer remembers to rest. The preserver rests to remember - remember that it's all about God.


Little Pear, written and illustrated by Eleanor Frances Lattimore

School for Naomi. The fictional story of a mischievous five year old boy who lives in a small Chinese village. Three of our kids have enjoyed this book now.


Lena, written by Margaret Jensen

Non-fiction. The author shares the story of her friend and co-worker, Lena, encouraging her through a difficult time in her life. Lena sounds like a great friend, but the book wasn't my favorite.


Follow My Leader, written by James B. Garfield and illustrated by Robert Greiner

School for Naomi. The fictional story of a boy who is blinded in an accident and how he adjusts to his new reality with the help of family, friends, and a guide dog. Another favorite of the little Ws.



THE BOOK I BAILED ON

Why Johnny Can't Tell Right From Wrong: Moral Illiteracy and the Case For Character Education (it seems the book was given a new title at some point - Why Johnny Can't Tell Right From Wrong: And What We Can Do About It), written by William Kilpatrick

I think this topic is interesting, but I just couldn't keep going. I read through page 95, four of fourteen main chapters, then quit. It was just too heavy for my brain this month. Sometimes I enjoy the heavier non-fiction books and other times I'm just not in the mood. I'll probably check it out another time and finish it up, partly to see what the rest says and definitely because there's an amazing book list in the fifteenth chapter that I want to utilize.

p.75 - It is also true that actual behavior tends to fall below the cultural ideal. What this means in practice, however, is that the higher the cultural standard is set, the farther actual behavior rises to meet it. In turn, the lower the culture sets it standard, the farther below it actual behavior will sink.

** This post contains affiliate links and we're grateful when people use them. **

4 comments:

Becca said...

I read Unglued, too, and really enjoyed it.

Bethany said...

Becca - It's a good one! :)

Diana said...

Thanks for listing all the quotes from Unglued--it needs to go on my reading list. And that's all I'll say to incriminate myself. ;)

Bethany said...

Diana - Ha! :)