Monday, January 13, 2014

EGGPLANT EXPERIMENT

If you've known me for any length of time, then you probably know that I detest eggplant.  I'm not a picky eater, but purple rubber just doesn't appeal to me.  I've had it made by great cooks, but I still think it's repulsive.  The texture is just nasty.

Well, Silas recently chose to pick up an eggplant at the store, but my condition was that he had to prepare it himself and we all had to sample it.  I hate it, but I also want my kids to see that I'm willing to practice what I preach when it comes to eating foods I don't like.

Several days ago he hopped online and watched a few videos, then headed for the kitchen.

He peeled.



"Gross.  This smells like pumpkin."

He sliced.



"This looks like a bad cucumber."

He dried.

He dredged.



He fried.



He put it on a plate.



He added cheese.



He gave some to me.

(You may want to sit down before looking at the next picture.)


Yes, that's me.

Yes, I'm giving a thumbs up.

I gave it a 3-4 on the scale of 1-5 that we use for ranking new recipes.

"Yes!"

"I can't believe it!"

"This is like the peak of my culinary career!"

Now, I won't ever be asking for eggplant and the main reason I didn't barf was because he sliced it thinly enough that I didn't get big chunks of slime in my mouth, but ... it really wasn't bad.

As for the rest of the Ws, some liked it and some thought it was nasty, which was exactly what I expected.

5 comments:

jani said...

Slime!?? Hello! Have you ever had okra??

Kelly said...

Good for you trying it :) I find anything fried to be palatable lol. Although I do like eggplant fried or not. Especially with cheese, and some marinara...even better.

Bethany said...

Jani - I've never had okra. Tim, however, grew up in the south and has. He agrees with your assessment. :)

Kelly - Cheese makes everything better. :)

Deana said...

Wow, that actually looks good.

Bethany said...

Deana - I actually had two slices. :)