Sunday, January 26, 2014

COLORED HAIR

Devon gave Naomi some hair dye for Christmas.  It was a totally random gift, something she'd never mentioned, but she was excited to use it.  Of course, being a W who loves funky hair, Devon didn't choose just any old color.  No, he chose bright pink and turquoise.  None of us have ever colored our hair, so Naomi was going to be the first W to have something other than their natural hair color.

The day finally came for us to dye her hair.  She explained to me that she wanted her hair in stripes - pink on top, blonde in the middle, and turquoise on the bottom.  So we hunkered down and started dividing her hair into thirds.


Then we headed to the kitchen.  I donned produce bags and rubber bands to use as gloves, then started combing dye through her hair.


I'm a complete rookie, so it took about an hour of me combing and her watching Tom & Jerry on Youtube, but we finally got it all done just the way she wanted it.


We struck a pose together while we waited for the dye to do its thing.


Unfortunately, neither Devon nor I read the dye bottles when he bought them, so we didn't realize until the day we wanted to color Naomi's hair that we needed to pre-treat it.  We had neither the treatment nor the money to buy any, so we just did what we could and waited to see how it turned out.

The lesson we learned is that if it says you need to pre-treat it, then you really need to pre-treat it.  When the time came to rinse Naomi's hair, we watched almost all of the dye go down the drain.

So disappointing!

She ended up with very faint color, enough that someone can see it if they're paying attention, but not nearly the bold look she was hoping.  Here's what it looks like pulled back a couple different ways.


 
We'll do it again someday ... correctly, with pre-treating and real gloves.  Meanwhile, she got over her initial disappointment and is enjoying the little bit of color she has.  More importantly, at least to me, the two of us had a really fun evening together as we experienced our inaugural hair dyeing event.  I have a feeling color may be the way this little W likes to funkify her hair!

4 comments:

Kami said...

Was that permanent hair color?!! You're a brave mama!!

Abby said...

Look into doing it with Koolaid, pretty permanent though! Also we do chalk in the girl's hair, only lasts a day or too but easy and fun!

perkyguy said...

I think it's pretty Naomi!

Bethany said...

Kami - It was semi-permanent. I'm pretty easy going when it comes to hair stuff ... but I make up for it in other areas. ;)

Abby - People also mentioned KoolAid and chalk on my FB page, so we'll definitely try one of those next time!

Dad - I'll pass your compliment along. :)