Wednesday, April 3, 2013

STARS, CAMERAS, ENTREPRENEURS, AND NEIGHBORS

You'd think I hung the moon - One of the little Ws was given a package of glow-in-the-dark stars by their loving parents, but that little W didn't love the stars nearly as much as their parents loved them.  So their mother, yours truly, snagged them and hung them in Naomi and Tyler's room.  Tyler giggled when he saw them glowing and Naomi was absolutely giddy.  I may not be able to hang the moon, but hanging stars definitely earned me some major "cool mom" points!

Point and shoot ... Or point, then say "shoot" - We've been without a camera since mid-January and decided to use a portion of our tax refund to get a new one.  I asked on Facebook for recommendations, purchased one online ... and we hate it.  The LCD screen is grainy and it's just not going to work.  I was so disappointed!!  We're waiting for the paperwork to return it, then will shop locally for another one after we get our money back.  I don't know when it will happen, but I can't wait to take picture of the little Ws again!

Raking in the bucks - Silas recently saw something at the store that he wanted to buy.  As you know, the kids aren't getting paid by us until Tim starts working again, which means they have no spending budget right now.  So, as he did several months ago, he figured out a way to earn some cash.  He went through his stuff and filled a large bag with things he no longer needed or wanted, slapped price tags on them, then set up a yard sale.  We live on a corner, so he set up shop on the corner for the most visibility and did it right before school got out, as he knew there would be a lot of foot traffic.  He sold almost everything and earned about $30.00, which gave him enough to buy what he wanted after he budgeted the cash out.

Sweet treats to eat - There was a knock on our door Saturday afternoon and I opened it to find one of our neighbors standing there.  She's a teenager who I've seen around, but never met.  She handed me a bag filled with Easter candy and said, "My mom asked me to bring this over for your kids."  I thanked her and we introduced ourselves, then she went home.  We try to take baked goods to our three closest neighbors every month-ish, but this is the second time a neighbor has brought an edible gift to us. Another neighbor sent their kids over with a huge tin of popcorn and some fruit snacks at Christmas.  Both times the neighbor kids have brought the gifts over, as there's a language barrier between us and the parents, and both gifts have come from people who work very long hours to provide for their own families.  The treats themselves are sweet, but the generosity behind them is even sweeter.

No comments: