Sunday, April 7, 2013

FUN WITH FRIENDS ON FRIDAY

A friend of mine mentioned early last week that she was going to IKEA later in the week and wondered if some of our group of friends would like to join her.  I didn't want to take the kids, Tim's at his practicum full-time, and it wasn't going to be worth paying for a sitter to go.  So, I declined.

Then I got a message mid-week from another friend.  She wanted to know if she and her husband could take our bigs to the drive-in for a movie on Friday night.  We agreed to let them go, then she said to drop them off at 1:00 in the afternoon.  She was going to have the kids help with some work on their property, hang out the rest of the afternoon, and then head to the movies.  We agreed to the plan.

Suddenly it occurred to me that I would only have one kid on Friday.   IKEA day.   Splendid!

I ended up spending Friday afternoon and evening with three friends that were able to make it out that day.  We browsed IKEA for people who needed things there, went on clothing hunt so that they could help me pull together a non-tomboy outfit, ate at Red Robin, and spent a bunch of time talking. 

Of course, I had to take Teebs with me, which is not how things usually go.  He wasn't bad ... but he's busy (no one's fault) ... and he missed his nap (my fault).  By the end of the visit I was a little tired of parenting a toddler and remembering why I like hanging out with friends sans kids from time to time.  But, that's ok.  It was still fun to have some girl time!

Here's Teebs with Charlotte, a friend's daughter who also had to be brought along this time.  The two of them met last year, so it was fun to see them together as toddlers.



Meanwhile, the bigs pulled on their rainboots and got to work at Dave and Sheri's.  Then they just hung out, watched a movie, ate "the best hot dogs ever" as part of their dinner, and headed out to the drive-in to watch The Croods from the back of a truck and eat goodies from Taco Bell.  They didn't home until after 10:30 and had so much fun!!



Tim didn't get to do anything fun that day, but he was able to be home alone for a couple hours between his practicum and me getting home.  Quiet time at home is just as nice, and sometimes even nicer, than galavanting around with friends in this season of our lives, so it's all good. 



1 comment:

Kristal said...

Worked out {almost} perfectly!

And the Croons - excellent movie. My parents took my kids and me Monday... I never get to go so I was so excited!