Wednesday, February 27, 2013

LOVE IN THE BALANCE - A BOOK REVIEW

Historical romance is not a genre of books I usually read, however I recently finished and enjoyed Love in the Balance, the second novel by Regina Jennings.  This story has kindness and condescension, gossip and forgiveness, trust and betrayals, assumptions and honesty, maturity and mistakes, judgment and grace, pride and humility ... a little bit of everything.

It's the story of a woman trying to choose between two men. The one who appears to be Mr. Right has her heart, but doesn't seem to be the most responsible choice because he doesn't have a way to provide for a family. Mr. Right Now has the means and desire to provide for her, but doesn't stir her heart. Throw family expectations and business concerns into the mix and you've got the makings of a good story. 

Molly, the main character, has to weigh her own desires against the expectations of others, try and find the balance between logic and emotion, consider the ramifications of each option she has before her, then make the biggest decision of her life.

Will she choose wisely?  Well, you'll have to read the book yourself to find that out!

What I will tell you is that I love the characters in this book, appreciate that it's not a sappy romance novel, enjoy Jennings' way with words, and look forward to the next book in the series.  Pretty much the same things I felt about her first book, Sixty Acres and a Bride, though I think I enjoyed this book even more.

If you read Love in the Balance, and I hope you do, then let me know what you think of it! 

I was given a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Like the last time, I have finished my review and will now donate my copy to the local library.

1 comment:

Kristal said...

I loved her first book... I'll have to watch for this at my library!