Sunday, February 17, 2013

2/17/13 WORTH REPEATING

What motivates me to keep simplifying and keep reducing when I hear the siren song of shopping calling to me is the very real experience I’ve had in the last 3 years cleaning out my deceased father’s storage unit. I’ve realized that the promises of security and abundance made by advertisements are false and hollow. Having all of my father’s stuff didn’t make me feel secure, it made me feel burdened. And I’m very motivated to make sure that no one is ever put in that position with my belongings.

~ Sarah Fertig at Project 333


********


The reality is that we become what we think about most of the time. With that in mind, we may want to focus on living the heart of God and doing right rather than the avoidance of sin. If we set our eyes and heart on God and living His will, sin avoidance will happen naturally.

~ Rondall Reynoso at Faith on View


********


Our price range of rentals we are looking at run the risk of landing us in a slummy neighborhood. I fear drugs, violence, but also the sense of entitlement I carry thinking I deserve a certain status of living any more than others who live in these shady areas.

~ Maryanne Gobble at Maryanne Gobble Photography


********


You never know when you’re looking at someone if it’s the last time you’ll ever see them. It’s not an excuse to live in fear; it’s an admonition to live in love. It’s a call to treat people — in traffic, online, in service industry jobs like Whitney’s — like gifts from God, not objects, robots or a means to an end.

~ Marcus Hathcock at East Hill Life


********


Christian woman, don't get caught up in thinking that because someone else does something a certain way that you must emulate her form!

Focus on the heart... if you find someone you look up to, imitate what is godly about her heart... her motivations... her character. But eschew ways of thinking that would convince you that you need to follow and subscribe to the specific details of someone else's life (the curriculum she uses, the time or method of her Bible study, the cleaning schedule she follows, her convictions about intimacy/ food/ birth control/ etc.).


~ Jess at Making Home


No comments: