Wednesday, October 27, 2010

UPSWING

Saturday night I slept about eight hours. Sunday I napped for over two hours. Sunday night, after tossing and turning for a while, I drugged myself and slept over nine hours. Getting more than five or six hours of sleep at night has made a huge difference in my emotions, as I expected it would. As I told someone else, I still need to deal with some head and heart stuff, but at least my body is getting back to where it needs to be. Being well-rested will definitely help me fight the funk!

Yesterday was great for my mental health. I only had two kids at home and the noise level in our home dropped by at least half. Three guesses which kid was gone. I'll give you a hint. If another kid had been gone, then the drama level would have dropped and if a different kid was gone, then the energy level would have dropped. So, do you know who was gone? The chatterbox. Silas.

So, we just had a totally relaxed day. I washed dishes and did a load of laundry while Devon and Naomi played castle. Naomi put on the princess costume she got from Papa and Nana, while Devon created a prince costume out of a vest, a coordinating shirt, matching shorts, crown, and a weapon.
.
Naomi acting tough and posing with a fake gun, while Devon gives a big smile as he packs a Nerf weapon.
.

.

Lord Devon

.

.
.
Lady Naomi
.


Naomi and I played together while Devon listened to a school book on CD. The kids napped in the afternoon and I curled up on the couch with a blanket. I spent a chunk of time reading my Bible and praying, then broke my new computer rule and just played online for a while. It was a super relaxing afternoon.

The blue-eyed kids and I enjoyed Taco Tuesday for dinner, then they plugged in a library movie. I'd just sat down to do some work online when there was a knock at the door. Tammy was there, so I invited her in. Good thing, because she came bearing a bag of some of my favorite things (Strawberry Milkshake Whoppers, black licorice, and a pineapple smoothie from Mike's Drive-In), a sweet card, and a verbal reminder that she likes me. I love her! She wins the "best friend for the day" award, but I'm letting her keep the title for a week, at least.


The chatterbox came home shortly after Tammy left and he came bearing gifts too! He'd taken some of his giving money (that's part of the kids' budgets) and bought me a Jr. Whopper and a chocolate shake, just for kicks. I, being very stuffed with a pineapple shake, started laughing and told him what Tammy had just brought. So, that shake got put in the freezer and I ate the burger later in the evening. Love my thoughtful kids!

Next up was a trip to the library. I always take all three kiddos, but was recently talking with Tim about needing some one-on-one time with each of them. So, I left the boys at home with Tim and took Naomi with me. We returned some things, picked up holds, chose new books, picked a few videos, played with the puppets, then headed out. Without my wallet or the videos. Oops. Came back a few minutes later, just after they'd locked up, and was able to get them from someone who met me at the back door. Three cheers for the librarians. A quick stop at Wendy's for $.99 cent fries, one of Naomi's favorite foods, and then we went back home.
.
The evening was quiet. Boys were in bed when Naomi and I got home, so she spent some time chatting and snuggling with Tim. She hit the sack and I visited with Tim for a while. He went to bed and I typed up this post-dated blog post. Then I went to bed, thankful for a really good day.

3 comments:

Sachi said...

Okay, I love how you don't want to mess with the princess but would love to have tea with the prince. Haha! You can't put those kids in a box for sure! (Well, maybe a cardboard box made to look like a castle... but you know what I mean!)

The Moffits said...

I can see the medicinal properties of whoppers, licorice, shakes and burgers. Sounds like just what the doctor ordered! I'm so glad you have thoughtful people in your life!

Kristal said...

Wow, sleep, good treats, quiet time... sounds like a great combo! I'm praying it helps you get back on a road to mending whatever you are working through.