Wednesday, July 14, 2010

BABYSITTER RATES

Tim and I have fallen out of the habit of going on dates. I'm not sure how or when it happened, but it did. Our goal is to get back in the habit. Now, in eight years of parenting we've never paid a sitter to watch our kids. Instead we've left them with friends who have asked to babysit, traded babysitting with other parents, or given them to the grandparents (when we lived near my dad & his wife). We'll continue to use those options, but figured it would be good to know what babysitters charge, as we don't want to bail on our goal of having dates if none of our friends are available when we want to go out.

Incidentally, about the time we decided to be better about scheduling dates, I got a message from someone at church who was offering childcare to several families over the course of the summer. The rate she gave me when I asked what she charged seemed kinda low, so I decided to do a little research to see what the going rate is.

As I asked around I discovered that a lot of families have no idea what's acceptable and asked me to let them know what I found out. Often the sitter won't give a specific rate, so the family is left to guess at how much to pay. Now, those sitters are often girls who want to earn some cash while blessing a couple with a break from their kids, so they don't want a set dollar amount to deter a couple from hiring them. They're flexible, which is why they don't give a set amount. Other sitters give a range and let the family pay whatever they can afford within those limits. Obviously there are other sitters who have set rates that they tell all families, regardless of the circumstances.

The average rate I came up with was $8-10/hour for an average of 1-3 kids. Sitters range in age from high schoolers to married women with kids. Here are some of the specific situations, all within the Portland metro area. Use them as I did, simply as a reference point in determining what to pay. Obviously each family and sitter will have different financial situations, kids will have different needs, motivations for sitting will vary (truly need the money or just want to help a family out), cost and time for the sitter to travel will vary, etc. So, don't be impressed with or critical of any of these situations. Do what works for your family.

* Was paid $12/hour to nanny.
* Pays $50/day for overnight sitters.
* Pays $10/hour for two kids.
* Pays $10/hour for three kids.
* Married mom was paid $6/hour to babysit one kid in her own home.
* Pays high schooler $5/hour plus an extra $5 for 2 two kids.
* Pays a 30 year old $12/hour for two kids. Would pay a high schooler $10/hour.
* Pays $6/hour for three kids, one of which is nearly capable of staying home alone. Sitter drives herself.
* Pays $8-9/hour for two kids.
* Was told by a sitter who would be watching kids from two families that the rate would be $12/hour for five kids.
* Was told one sitter gets paid $6-10 and another $8-10/hour.
* Pays $25-40, depending on length of time and how much of the evening the kids were awake, for three kids. Sitter drives herself.

My suggestion would be for the family to say "We need a sitter from (start time) to (end time) on (date) and we'll pay (dollar amount)." No guessing, no wondering, no time wasted. The sitter can then accept, negotiate, or turn you down, knowing full well what they're getting into.

If you're a sitter, then I'd encourage you to not hesitate in giving a set amount. Parents want to know that they're paying you a fair amount, but can't do that if no one will share what they charge. So, give your rates without apology. If you do want to make it more affordable for a particular family or if you base your rates on individual circumstances, then just say "My rates vary, depending on the situation, and I'd charge (amount) to watch your kids." The parents can then decide whether or not they can afford to hire you. You've also made it clear that the rate you gave them isn't necessarily the same they'd give the next family, which will make them less likely to tell others "Susie Sitter charges XYZ", which could make things a little awkward if you have to tell that next family you'd actually charge them more.

I hope some of this is helpful to those of you who wonder if you're currently paying a fair rate or those who are looking for a sitter. There's obviously a wide spectrum, but it's good to know what that spectrum looks like. Feel free to add your own experience in the comment section, if you feel it would be helpful to other families or sitters.

3 comments:

Jacki R. said...

Thanks for your in-depth reporting! I got $5 an hour for two kids about 20 years ago, so I really had no idea "with inflation" what prices might be these days!!

sarah p. said...

Sounds about right. I'm paid $10/hr for one kid (toddler), and they always round up to the nearest hour. I often feel like I'm taking advantage of the parents here because she's usually asleep most of the time I'm there. But they've repeatedly reassured me that it's worth every penny for peace of mind that their daughter is safe.

Another family paid $10/hr for one and $12/hr for two...and I felt like I earned every penny (granted they were 16 months apart and both under the age of 3 at the time)! They're the ones who mostly stopped calling when I got married...I still love kids and can use the money just as much...and it gives me a chance to get my baby-fix in (keep that in mind parents!).

Basically, I think $10/hr is is a fair rate and makes it worth my time to baby-sit as a married adult. I wasn't comfortable stating a price, and that's what both families said is their standard to pay. That said, if it was a family from church and I knew the circumstances, I'd be willing to negotiate (or barter for something the fam has to offer).

Andrea said...

Thanks for posting this! We've been in the market for babysitters so we can have regular date nights as well. I never thought it would be so hard to find a teenager who wanted to make a little bit of extra cash. I've been asking around and I'm hearing $10-12 for 1 kid! One parent told me, "When your teenagers want things like ipods and designer jeans it's just not worth it to them to give up a Saturday night for $7/hour." That was an eye opener. Now I'm left to contemplate - what exactly is the price I'm willing to put on date night?